They said what?

"Can I borrow a cup of sugar?" I remember neighbors doing this all the time as a kid, but not since the 70's. Did people stop baking?
Nope... they stopped being 'neighborly' ;confused2
i think ppl born from the 80's and since have the habit of going to the nearest "supercenter" multiple times per week. they have never had the understanding or experience of what it was like to go to the grocery store just once per week and having to stick to a budget. prosperous times for the last 35 to 40 years with the introduction of imported goods. they also never will know what it was like to have to walk everywhere you went..and it was all uphill.....lol

You're not "speakin' from the left side of your mouth" there Paulum!

It's amazin' to behold... the people who retire out here are constantly in and out, in and out, in and out... we're 17 miles from the closest town and there's nothing there but a dollar store, convenience store (with ridiculously high gas), 17 church's - one denomination, and a recently added liquor store (dry county tii last year) lol That doesn't stop them. Walmarts Headquarter's is 45 miles from here and there are... let's see... 6... super center's laid out like spokes in a wheel in the immediate area. Some days seem to be set aside for 'comparison' shopping' ???? On those days they make the loop and hit them all... Covid didn't deter them at ALL. Now. I'm not downing Wally World. They are the second largest employer in this extremely rural area. But why oh WHY do you NEED to run the roads everyday? IF you don't own a car and WALK where you're going - they get 'suspicious' and have been known to call the County Sheriff to report a "ne'r' do well" WALKING down the County road. brahhahahaaaa.

Which leads me to this... One of the most irritating and sometimes down right dangerous traits that has developed over said period of time is IMMEDIATE SELF GRATIFICATION. I want it! NOW! "I'll swain", "I shudder to think" where this has led and continues to lead. But it aint good. :)

• Love it
Reactions: Paulm and Paintman
" You smell like a goat in labor. "

Now this one has a little history behind it. My grandpa and my other grandpa & grandma used to say this. Back then they had no way of knowing each other in the Chicagoland area but they had the same expression.

I still carry on that tradition especially when I used to manage weightlifting gyms......

" You smell like a goat in labor. "

Now this one has a little history behind it. My grandpa and my other grandpa & grandma used to say this. Back then they had no way of knowing each other in the Chicagoland area but they had the same expression.

I still carry on that tradition especially when I used to manage weightlifting gyms......
Which brings to mind Grandpa Millard (Kansas). He'd wander into the den first thing in the morning, smack his lips and say "A little man cr*pped in my mouth last night and I'm pretty sure he brought his goat". All the grand kids would HOWL with laughter. :)

My Kentucky grandfather frequently used the expression "no account" to describe something that was useless or worthless. I once asked an Appalachian folklorist about the expression. He claimed it came from the coal mining industry where miners had no option but to buy necessities on credit from the "company store." Thus, if one had "no account" at the store, they couldn't survive.
Hey... I ran across this article when looking at Ozark Slang and I thought it was interesting and you might too

Hey... I ran across this article when looking at Ozark Slang and I thought it was interesting and you might too

Very cool! Great post!

I loved this article. Thanks Donna. How fascinating to think they were actually speaking old English. They have a culture all their own being so isolated.