They said what?

I met a fellow from London decades ago who used the expression, from context I believe it to be encouragement to double-down and give something an extra effort. Am I close?
The context in which I heard the expression used was similar to the expression "use a little elbow grease" here. In effect, to make a more strenuous effort in some physical activity.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard the "elbow grease" expression in a long time.

The context in which I heard the expression used was similar to the expression "use a little elbow grease" here. In effect, to make a more strenuous effort in some physical activity.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard the "elbow grease" expression in a long time.
I was thinking it had something to do with the boots Wellingtons.

Reactions: Paintman
"hoicking and jinking"

A century-old expression that I have read many times, but only heard one person actually utter vocally, many years ago.

The definitions of hoick and jink may put it into sufficient perspective, along with a WWI timeframe.

Reactions: Benway
Wild as a March Hare!
Mad as a Hatter.
Tomfoolery

Sadly most of the expressions that jumped to my mind are of a rather XXX-rated sort and not meant for civilized company.