The wonderful world of deepfake CGI.....

titch2k6

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
I am a huge Star Wars fan. It is not just the gripping storylines, but I am fascinated by the special effects that are deployed in modern-day motion pictures and sci-fi series'.

At the end of The Mandalorian Chapter 16: The Rescue, I was a bit disappointed with Disney's CGI of young Luke towards the end of the show. I felt that it did not do justice for Mark Hamilton and how he projected Luke in previous castings.

This is Disney's original version of Luke entering the chamber where the crew are bunkered down with Grogu:

See what I mean? Luke just looks - lifeless. No 'real' human emotions that are the trait of Luke Skywalker. And his eyes are dead - no spark.

Thank goodness for a group of FX guys called the Corridor Crew. They took the scene and reimagined it, completely remaking Luke Skywalker using deepfake CGI technology. The finished scene is the way that Disney SHOULD have done it. Here is their reimagined Luke Skywalker in the same scene:

Computer technology is advancing quicker than we can catch up with, and it will be interesting to see what we are capable of doing in a few years time.

If you are interested in AI technology and IT related stuff, you can watch the whole video on how they remade this clip over on Youtube here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
That was an impressive improvement! You could really see the difference in Luke's facial expressions!

Reactions: Lynne
It's an improvement, but his hair was more on par originally. The improvement looks much more like Hamill. There's a Romanian actor by the name of Sebastian Stan that has a strong resemblance to a younger Hamill that fans are crazy over and that has said that he'd only take over the role of Skywalker with Hamill's blessing.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I haven’t watched this series yet. I just got the streaming tv a few moninths ago. I guess I need to add this to the list of future picks.

Reactions: garnetsilver