"The Village" Mansfield - Friday 22nd October 2021 - Observation Report

Wow what a good report. I really enjoyed it. Thanks Titch for allowing us to share this experience. Espicially for someone like me who will probably never go on such an adventure. Is this a deserted town?

Wow what a good report. I really enjoyed it. Thanks Titch for allowing us to share this experience. Espicially for someone like me who will probably never go on such an adventure. Is this a deserted town?

No, Lynne.

"The Village" actually gets its name from the nightclub that opened up in the 1980s. Prior to this, it was a maltings factory that produced hops for the Mansfield Brewery Co from the early 1700s. Many children worked at the maltings and suffered terribly under the ownership of one Mr Merryweather.

Prior to this, there was a large stone barn on the grounds which had a tunnel linking from it to the nearby Church. In the 1500s, seven monks were chased into the Church by an angry mob of villagers (although I do not know why at this stage, and further research is ongoing), They tried escaping through the tunnel to the barn. The villagers caught up to them, and firing the barn, burned all seven monks alive.

No, Lynne.

"The Village" actually gets its name from the nightclub that opened up in the 1980s. Prior to this, it was a maltings factory that produced hops for the Mansfield Brewery Co from the early 1700s. Many children worked at the maltings and suffered terribly under the ownership of one Mr Merryweather.

Prior to this, there was a large stone barn on the grounds which had a tunnel linking from it to the nearby Church. In the 1500s, seven monks were chased into the Church by an angry mob of villagers (although I do not know why at this stage, and further research is ongoing), They tried escaping through the tunnel to the barn. The villagers caught up to them, and firing the barn, burned all seven monks alive.
Wow that’s a lot of terror left on that ground. Those poor Monks. I wonder what the people were mad about. Jeeze that’s horrible. When I read the name MR.Merryweather, I felt a chill. I can picture the type.

Thanks for the background.