The Tarot

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Little Known History of the Tarot – The Daily Grail

In recent years there’s been a huge upswing of interest in the Tarot, the card-divination technique that is often claimed to have truly ancient roots, dating back to ancient Egypt (or, for some, even ‘Atlantean’ times). And with the surge of interest in the Tarot there’s also been a massive expansion in the number of decks available – in recent years here on the Grail we’ve mentioned a Twin Peaks-themed deck as well the wonderful ‘Ghetto Tarot‘.

For those newcomers interested in the Tarot who are confused about its origins, and as to which of the many available decks is ‘genuine’,or at least which is the best to start with, Gaia have produced a fantastic short introductory video.

The video consults with our good friend Mitch Horowitz, who has written on many occult traditions (including a piece on the Ouija in our Darklore anthology) and also has been involved in a separate video introduction to the Ouija board, so it’s a good common sense view of an esoteric tradition that has certainly generated plenty of speculative theories over the years.

Throughout its history, tarot has has been associated with various ancient mystery schools and esoteric ideologies. However, evidence points to a deck of cards that wasn’t used exclusively for fortune telling until centuries after its creation. Occult historian and author Mitch Horowitz sheds some light on how this powerful tool transitioned from an early version of bridge to a mystical divination tool.

Reactions: Charleh
Seems like everyone’s publishing their own variations of the deck. Although it seems Doreen Virtue has the most out there.

Sorry but the video on the ouija board hasn’t changed my mind on them ;vo :D

Maybe it was just a game origionally. How funny would that be if all this time it wasn’t meant to be mystical at all.

Reactions: Charleh
Maybe it was just a game origionally. How funny would that be if all this time it wasn’t meant to be mystical at all.
I don’t think that it’s any coincidence that the major arcana has always been jam packed with mystical meanings. I read somewhere that the major arcana has messages pertaining to Kabbalah.

Reactions: Lynne