The Summer of climate change

titch2k6

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
More heat headed for West Coast

download.jpg

Reactions: Black Cloud

Tell me about it. It's 22:12 here at the moment and I am sitting in my front room with all windows and doors open, three fans going and in nothing but swimming shorts. It is currently 20C - the temperatures we normally see during the day in Summer

I AM DRIPPING.............. :disrelieved:

Have to say though, compared to some places, especially in the US and Europe, we are getting off lightly at the moment......

Reactions: garnetsilver
Titch is your area beautiful ? I picture Sherwood Forest and a very rural area. I’d love to see pics of your area. Nothing personal , just what the country side looks like. Sorry your melting. It’s always hot here in MI in the summer.

Reactions: Debi
News updates from in the UK this morning:

Most of the country is expected to see another day of hot and dry weather after temperatures have soared into the late 20s and early 30Cs.

Road melting has been reported across the country during the heat, including in Cornwall, Gloucestershire, Somerset and Worcestershire - all covered by an extreme heat warning, due to expire at the end of today.

Despite the hot weather, parts of the country have been hit with hail which has crushed gardens and smashed windows in some places. In Leicestershire, residents described the hail as 'the size of tennis balls'.

Crazy..........

Titch is your area beautiful ? I picture Sherwood Forest and a very rural area. I’d love to see pics of your area. Nothing personal , just what the country side looks like.

I think it is, but there again, I'm biased because I live here :tearsofjoy:

I will get some snaps of the area and post them up for you, Lynne ;)

Advance apology - going to 'spam' this topic with some pictures over a number of posts (as limited to 5 attachments per post) of the area I live in and in response to Lynne's question. Was a nice little drive around to break up the day - and an excuse to spend some time in the car with the AC blowing on full :)

This is a part of Sherwood Forest known as 'Breck Bank'. It is literally a 5-minute walk from our house and a common place to meet locals out for a walk with their dogs.

P1000113.JPG
P1000110.JPG

P1000111.JPG
P1000112.JPG

Last edited:
The area is predominantly arable and pig farming (not nice in the summer when the wind blows in the wrong direction!). In the top left picture, you can see part of Sherwood Forest's boundary in the background.

The river shown is River Maun. Along the banks of the river, you can find and enter Robin Hood's Cave. There is no association with the famous outlaw that we know, but it makes a nice tale.......

P1000119.JPG
P1000114.JPG

P1000116.JPG
P1000118.JPG

Last edited:
Kings Clipstone, named in honour of King John I, was the home of King John's Palace. There is not much of this left today - just some stone ruins.

Slightly further up the road is Clipstone itself. The most prominent feature in this town is the abandoned, twin coal mine towers. The whole area was a mining community, with pits located in all the major towns around us, as well as in our own, until their closure.

P1000120.JPG
6137188_34ebddd7.jpg

P1000121.JPG

Sherwood Forest is the fabled home of Robin Hood. The main Forest Centre is a 5-minute car ride away in Edwinstowe. It is the location of the infamous Major Oak. According to local folklore, it was Robin Hood's shelter where he and his merry men slept. It weighs an estimated 23 tons, has a girth of 33 feet (10 metres), a canopy of 92 feet (28 metres), and is about 800–1000 years old.

These are stock pictures as the Car Park was closed, for some reason, when we went over.

0_Forest-clearing.jpg
UK_SherwoodForest_UK_Header.jpg

shutterstock-368040437.jpg
robin-hood-statue-in-sherwood-forest-nottinghamshire-uk-credit-nilfanion.jpg

Last edited:
Every year, Sherwood Forest plays host to the Robin Hood Festival. For a week, the forest becomes the 'home' of friars, outlaws and villains. There are reenactments of battles, jousting and parades, all conducted in ways that would have been true to the day they occurred. These are some stock images from last year's event.

robin_hood_festival.jpg
download (1).jpg

nfaenpptmanyf0o7mpz0.jpg

00003583329113.jpg
IMG_8125(3).jpg