The Roach Robot

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Scientists at the University of California, Berekely, have created an insect-sized robot that weighs less than one tenth of a gram, yet can withstand the weight of a person stepping on it and still keep going. The skittering bot can run at 20 body lengths per second, nearly the speed of its inspiration the cockroach, and it can carry six times its weight. According to its builders, the tiny robot's combination of speed and toughness make it ideal for search-and-rescue applications.

Scientists at the University of California, Berekely, have created an insect-sized robot that weighs less than one tenth of a gram, yet can withstand the weight of a person stepping on it and still keep going. The skittering bot can run at 20 body lengths per second, nearly the speed of its inspiration the cockroach, and it can carry six times its weight. According to its builders, the tiny robot's combination of speed and toughness make it ideal for search-and-rescue applications.
Search and Rescue?

Yeah, that's not what it'll be used for, if you'll pardon the cynicism.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Search and Rescue?

Yeah, that's not what it'll be used for, if you'll pardon the cynicism.
I just post the story, babe, and wait for you guys to tell me what they will really do with it! ;):)

Reactions: Lynne
I love all the new technology and gadgets that will only be used for the betterment of mankind.....oh wait, never mind.....

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I think it would be really cool if you can make a robot that can bear a crushing force and still scoot around, albeit slowly.

Reactions: Lynne