The 'Pocket Soup' That Fueled 18th Century Sailors

Unfortunately, there were those who were culled to work on ships. The amount of disease and terrible conditions swayed people from it, so, they were 'recruited'. As majestic as those ships were or the call of the sea pulled at imaginations, it was no easy life for sure. Plus, there was no Dramamine. Did i mention sea monsters? ;oct ;)
I've always wondered about the whole "call of the sea" idea. Looking at the history of literature and legend it seems that the romantic views of the mysterious ocean are a product of more modern interpretations. Much of the older stories make the mysteries of the ocean out to be dark, dangerous and unpredictable. Like the sea was a necessary evil or last resort rather than a calling. According to ancient writings the ocean was the home of monsters, vindictive gods and all other manner of horror. It was desperate men who risked certain death that went out to sea. Granted some cultures were more comfortable in the water than others but it was still a source of terror rather than adventure.

theres a retaurant/bar in savannah called the pirates house, oldest structure in georgia, was a tavern back in the seafarin' days of savannah, 17th-18th century or so. it sits a block from the waterway, underneath the building is a series of tunnels that go to the docks. were used for smuggling goods and people to work the ships.
Oh, I would love to go there!

Reactions: Paulm and 7Critter