The 'Pocket Soup' That Fueled 18th Century Sailors

The first thing that came to mind reading the title of thread was a three stooges type soup with pocket link and a shoe lol. Interesting article though.

I can only imagine how bad life as a peasant was to make people want to sign up for work on a ship. That life was hard in every direction and condition. Eating gelatinous goo would not add to the list of perks.

I can only imagine how bad life as a peasant was to make people want to sign up for work on a ship. That life was hard in every direction and condition. Eating gelatinous goo would not add to the list of perks.
Unfortunately, there were those who were culled to work on ships. The amount of disease and terrible conditions swayed people from it, so, they were 'recruited'. As majestic as those ships were or the call of the sea pulled at imaginations, it was no easy life for sure. Plus, there was no Dramamine. Did i mention sea monsters? ;oct ;)

they were 'recruited'.
theres a retaurant/bar in savannah called the pirates house, oldest structure in georgia, was a tavern back in the seafarin' days of savannah, 17th-18th century or so. it sits a block from the waterway, underneath the building is a series of tunnels that go to the docks. were used for smuggling goods and people to work the ships.