The old ways

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

WAY BACK WHEN, WE USED TO HANG OUT THE CLOTHES TO DRY.
THIS WAS EVERY WASHDAY AND THOSE DAYS WERE CHOSEN BY THE WEATHER!
I HAVE HEARD THERE IS A NEW INTEREST IN THE OLD WAYS OF DOING THINGS AGAIN, INCLUDING THE HANGING OUT OF LAUNDRY.

WHO DID THIS IN THE PAST OR AS A CHILD?

DOES ANYONE STILL DO THIS? ANYBODY STILL HAVE CLOTHES PINS AND A LINE IN THEIR YARD?
ANY OTHER "OLD WAYS" COMING TO MIND?

t1wind.jpg

i still do a lot of things the "old way"...lol.... i dont have a dishwasher. i still cut the grass with a push mower, and do all the landscaping my self, no services. ( i do have a riding mower too that i bought 2 years ago, but only use it for maybe half the yard.) i do have a clothes line that sometimes gets used in the spring through summer. being too comfortable and easy only leads to fat and lazy...lol. so i try to keep manual labor in my routine. funny how everyone wants it easy, but then has to spend hours at a gym to stay in shape.....movement, work, purpose, is what keeps us going, without it we just cease to have a need to continue

When my daughter was little, we lived in a third floor apartment. It had a nice big yard and three clothes lines for each family living there. I can remember lugging baskets of wet laundry down stairs and hanging them on the clothes line, watching the sheets billow like ship sails. And how good everything smelled when I lugged it back upstairs. Now I have a washer and dryer, but still hang things on a line in the yard for airing.

I remember when my mom used to hang the clothes on the line. In New Mexico the weather is almost always sunny enough to hang the clothes on the line and expect them to be dry in an hour or two (except snow days, which are few).

When I lived in Virginia I tried hanging the clothes on the line but it is so humid they would be mildewed before they would ever dry.

I had a clothesline that I used a lot about 10 years ago, but too much going on for me to fix it and go back to using it. When I get other things done I will put up a new one and use it.

One "old way" that comes to mind for me is that I still make bread. I prefer it to store bought.
I just made two loaves last week. I found this great kind of flour, called Einkorn. It is apparently the way that flour used to be before they started selling the crappy, overpriced kind that you find on the shelves now.

i still do a lot of things the "old way"...lol.... i dont have a dishwasher. i still cut the grass with a push mower, and do all the landscaping my self, no services. ( i do have a riding mower too that i bought 2 years ago, but only use it for maybe half the yard.) i do have a clothes line that sometimes gets used in the spring through summer. being too comfortable and easy only leads to fat and lazy...lol. so i try to keep manual labor in my routine. funny how everyone wants it easy, but then has to spend hours at a gym to stay in shape.....movement, work, purpose, is what keeps us going, without it we just cease to have a need to continue
Alright...I'm just gonna sit you on the mountain top and we're all coming to see you at least once a week for a dose of wisdom. ;)