COVID-19 Information updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to be careful or you have mustard gas.....
Yup. I've seen some vids today I didn't put here, but things are not looking up over there and the tone of the WHO has changed to much more serious.

Reactions: Paulm
In most cases, bleach is actually the best disinfectant against this, but to spray an entire city with humans running about I would say alcohol is much safer. NOT that they would take that into consideration but....for alcohol to work well it would need to be at about an 80% solution, from what I heard recently. Bleach can be a 4 to 1...4 parts water to 1 part bleach.
Yeah alcohol has to a high solution to kill viruses...at least 80 % per the health dept. To ward off cross contamination, matricide is better as are a couple others, but bleach is the best, so I wouldnt doubt that being used....

Reactions: Debi
Yup. I've seen some vids today I didn't put here, but things are not looking up over there and the tone of the WHO has changed to much more serious.
I've noticed that too... Scary stuff right now

I've noticed that too... Scary stuff right now
I have a son who is in contact with his Chinese counterparts for the company over there. It's truly bad over there right now.

Reactions: Paulm
As near as I can tell the coronavirus is just another flu. We are having a bad flu season this winter here in East Texas and there are schools closing all over the area. This is not something wildly different than some years that we have had in the past. My wife came home early today. She is a dental hygienist one day a week for a local small-town dentist. They had 6 cancellations today due to the flu.

Having the flu is no fun but individually it isn't actually all that dangerous. At this time the odds of you catching and dying from the coronavirus are far less than your odds of being struck by lightning. The problem in China has to do with the way they live. They have overcrowding and then a socialized medical system that in no way compares to what we have in the US. A lot of the poorer Chinese people still depend on and practice traditional medicine. Acupuncture or ground-up animal parts just don't help with the flu.

The media people are making it sound like the plague and it is nothing like that. the plague had a 98% mortality no matter who got it. The coronavirus has a 2% mortality rate in China with most of the death being older people and people with previously compromised immune systems. I have read that the mortality rate among young healthy adults is less than 1% which is about the norm for flu viruses. The bad thing about the coronavirus is that people that catch it can walk around contagious for up to two weeks without having any of the symptoms of having the flu. Most flu viruses are not contagious until you get sick.

Even the Spanish Influenza didn't have a huge infection rate. The reason that it was so bad was that it primarily killed young very healthy men and this was a time of war where we had hundreds of thousands of young men crammed into camps and onto ships. The reason it killed the young healthy men was that it worked by turning your own immune system against you. If you had a strong immune system you would get so sick that it would kill you before your body could respond. Old people and sick people were little affected compared to what it did to the young soldiers.

As sad as it may be, even if this killed several million people that would not compare to the Spanish flu. In 1917 the world population was in the area of 1.8 billion people. We are now creeping up on 8 billion. We are currently well past due for a massive epidemic. In the past, they came in 40 to 60-year cycles but with the advent of good antibiotics like penicillin right at the end of WW2, the cycles were thrown off. Mother Earth is a mean witch and sooner or later she is going to collect on debts past due but I don't think that this is it yet.

As near as I can tell the coronavirus is just another flu. We are having a bad flu season this winter here in East Texas and there are schools closing all over the area. This is not something wildly different than some years that we have had in the past. My wife came home early today. She is a dental hygienist one day a week for a local small-town dentist. They had 6 cancellations today due to the flu.

Having the flu is no fun but individually it isn't actually all that dangerous. At this time the odds of you catching and dying from the coronavirus are far less than your odds of being struck by lightning. The problem in China has to do with the way they live. They have overcrowding and then a socialized medical system that in no way compares to what we have in the US. A lot of the poorer Chinese people still depend on and practice traditional medicine. Acupuncture or ground-up animal parts just don't help with the flu.

The media people are making it sound like the plague and it is nothing like that. the plague had a 98% mortality no matter who got it. The coronavirus has a 2% mortality rate in China with most of the death being older people and people with previously compromised immune systems. I have read that the mortality rate among young healthy adults is less than 1% which is about the norm for flu viruses. The bad thing about the coronavirus is that people that catch it can walk around contagious for up to two weeks without having any of the symptoms of having the flu. Most flu viruses are not contagious until you get sick.

Even the Spanish Influenza didn't have a huge infection rate. The reason that it was so bad was that it primarily killed young very healthy men and this was a time of war where we had hundreds of thousands of young men crammed into camps and onto ships. The reason it killed the young healthy men was that it worked by turning your own immune system against you. If you had a strong immune system you would get so sick that it would kill you before your body could respond. Old people and sick people were little affected compared to what it did to the young soldiers.

As sad as it may be, even if this killed several million people that would not compare to the Spanish flu. In 1917 the world population was in the area of 1.8 billion people. We are now creeping up on 8 billion. We are currently well past due for a massive epidemic. In the past, they came in 40 to 60-year cycles but with the advent of good antibiotics like penicillin right at the end of WW2, the cycles were thrown off. Mother Earth is a mean witch and sooner or later she is going to collect on debts past due but I don't think that this is it yet.
We shall see, Dan.

The population density of Wuhan is about twice that of New York City. You have 11 million people in a relatively small area. It is getting hard to tell what is going on over there. the government in China is now censoring everything and arresting reporters that don't follow the government line. Too many people, too few doctors or hospitals. Those poor people have a serious problem. Can you imagine if the US had to resort to building basically MASH hospital units to take care of people? The pictures of those places are reminiscent of pictures taken during the Spanish Influenza. Endless rows of cots in an open room. Their health care is going to be little better than what we had here in the 50s if that good. So sad.

I could be way wrong about what I think. Don't get me wrong I am no Susie Sunshine. I am a hardcore survivalist and have been ready for something like this for over 40 years. I went over a million words online this last year most of which were devoted to survival topics. I'm just not getting the DEFON 1 or 2 feeling from this yet.

We must assume containment for coronavirus will fail in the US, says Johns Hopkins' Amesh Adalja

As near as I can tell the coronavirus is just another flu.

Adalja is speaking in these terms during the MSNBC interview. He gives it a likely H1N1 characterization and says coronavirus may just become part of our seasonal flu repertoire. We'll see if there is a growing consensus in this direction. Of course, this does not mean we should let down our guard and cease to remain vigilant.

. I'm just not getting the DEFON 1 or 2 feeling from this yet.

this is a different strain of the corona virus.... the normal flu is one thing, this is different, flights aren't banned, ships aren't turned away and entires cities aren't sprayed with a disinfectant for the "flu", quarantine facilities are being set up here.... the measures taken for this are far beyond what is normal.... maybe funding has been raised and they just need to spend the money, but I doubt it...lol.... what we are being told and what is happening and the measures taken just don't seem to add up.... noticing what goes on behind the lines and reading between the lines is also part of "prepping"... as to whether we are at a low defcon level, I dunno… but this I think is something to watch closely....hopefully it will weaken and be of little concern after this season but until then it needs to be monitored closely.

Reactions: Debi and Duke
Status
Not open for further replies.