The name's Bond...James Bond....

One of the marketing guys I met from an aerospace company in the UK told me a funny story. It seems senior officials from certain parts of the world expect "favors" from companies they deal with in the West. Usually the things you'd expect (money, alcohol/drugs, luxury accommodations, companionship, etc.), but others were more inventive.

A very senior military officer from a Middle Eastern nation, a big Bond fan apparently, asked his hosts to arrange for him to drive an Aston-Martin. They "borrowed" a car, and arranged for him to drive it on the runway of an old airfield. After a few trips up and down the runway, the generalissimo stopped to ask where the controls were for the machine guns, oil slick, and the other gizmos seen in the Bond films. He seemed genuinely disappointed the car was not fully equipped.
Hahhaahah Good one!

When Deb and my Croatian friend,Goran Visnjic, was on ER ,he bought an Aston martin. Goran is big Bond fan. He actually auditioned for Bond. I saw the tape. They had full on lights camera just like a feature film. They don't mess around. I still vote for Idris Elba as the next Bond. Given the current atmosphere, he may get the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benway and Paintman
I'm listening to the radio one day in the mid-90s and we were spitballing about who's going to become the new James Bond. It was pre 1995 and Pierce Brosnan eventually got the role of a lifetime.
But as the radio was debating the pros and cons of all of actors, a guy calls in and suggests, " Richard Burton."
Talk host : " That's a fantastic suggestion but unfortunately he's been dead for 10 years."

I'm listening to the radio one day in the mid-90s and we were spitballing about who's going to become the new James Bond. It was pre 1995 and Pierce Brosnan eventually got the role of a lifetime.
But as the radio was debating the pros and cons of all of actors, a guy calls in and suggests, " Richard Burton."
Talk host : " That's a fantastic suggestion but unfortunately he's been dead for 10 years."
yes ,they would definitely need a stunt driver.And in his Golden years, Burton was drunk about 23 hours a day... so they really would just need a double for standing,sitting,walking and talking. He would have the lying down aced.

Reactions: Benway and Paintman
If Dr Who can be a woman, why not Bond? And yes, "Jules Bond" would be perfect.

I worked in Hollywood for a number of years in several capacities but in my later years as what most call an "extra." I worked at all the major studios and locations and on many films and TV shows. One of my first such jobs was on the TV series "Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman" in the 1990s. On my first day on that job they put me next to "Bond girl" Jane Seymour, the series star, in one particular shot. While we were waiting for the cameras to roll Jane noticed me and leaned over and put her face two inches in front of mine while peering intently into my eyes. She said nothing while staring a couple of inches away, for a few seconds, then smiled and turned back to her starting position. I have no idea what she was looking at or why. Not even an eye doctor has ever looked that closely into my eyes and I can't imagine what anyone could see that close. Then they shot the scene and we moved on.

Reactions: Benway and Duke