The Mothman Museum

set the date, Im in
I can be there in about two hours, it's a beautiful drive in the fall. The bad news is the MmM is kind of a joke. It's fairly small (located in a former Kentucky Fried Chicken) with the bulk of the "exhibits" being newspaper clippings and the odd prop from/memorabilia associated with the Richard Gere film. (Ironically, a town in Pennsylvania was chosen as a stand in for PP in the actual filming as the real town wasn't deemed photogenic enough.) The highlight of the museum is the gift shop, some seriously weird stuff available there. Who knew they needed a Mothman potholder?

Admission for the museum alone is around $5, but for $25 you can book a Mothman/Point Pleasant history van tour that includes museum admission. The town itself, while historic and quaint, has little else to offer. (I remember Yelp or one of the other similar crowd sourced review apps rated Dairy Queen the best restaurant in town.) Fifteen minutes west in Rio Grande, Ohio, you can visit/tour THE Bob Evan's Farm and eat at their first restaurant. It's better than Dairy Queen.

All that said, I'm all in for a PNF visit to the Museum. If we make it on a weekend in the fall, we could take in a football game at Marshall University (less than a hour south) as well. Could be a fun weekend in a beautiful part of the country.

Should have mentioned there is a haunted hotel (with a self contained bar) directly across the the street from the Mothman Museum. It it was built back in the late 1800s when boats up and down the Ohio River were a primary means of transportation.

Seriously, the Museum isn't all that bad, it's just small. The guy who owns it is a high school teacher, he truly wants to preserve the lore associated with the area. I'd go for the annual Mothman Festival if it didn't conflict with college football.