The Meaning of Life

This is a weird story but true.I catch,hunt rabbits here as they are an introduced pest.I was doing a job one day for a plant nursery owner who was losing a lot of stock to the bunnies.I use ferrets to flush them out and the whippets to catch them.The place was overrun with them and were catching plenty until we hit a warren full of young.As the babies were running out my old whippet caught one then gave me the most heart warming look,put the young rabbit down unharmed and watched it run away.This happened several times.That was it for me,I packed up and headed home.The compassion of the little dog had showed me up,proving to me this is not merely a human trait and we are all kindred souls on this planet.

Attachments

• 20180110_124516.jpg
    20180110_124516.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 134
This is a weird story but true.I catch,hunt rabbits here as they are an introduced pest.I was doing a job one day for a plant nursery owner who was losing a lot of stock to the bunnies.I use ferrets to flush them out and the whippets to catch them.The place was overrun with them and were catching plenty until we hit a warren full of young.As the babies were running out my old whippet caught one then gave me the most heart warming look,put the young rabbit down unharmed and watched it run away.This happened several times.That was it for me,I packed up and headed home.The compassion of the little dog had showed me up,proving to me this is not merely a human trait and we are all kindred souls on this planet.
Beautiful. Animals have taught me more than people about living, particularly living in the present, or at least trying to

What kind of special kindness has influenced your life?
I have complex PTSD (much better now, btw) and one night something triggered it and I was in a bad head space, terrified out of my wits. I called a hotline, and I swear, angels must have inspired the woman who answered the phone. She stayed on the phone with me for an entire hour, comforting me and soothing me until the terror passed. I will never forget her kindness. I now try to be a good listener when someone confides in me, and be as much of a support as that anonymous woman was for me.

I have complex PTSD (much better now, btw) and one night something triggered it and I was in a bad head space, terrified out of my wits. I called a hotline, and I swear, angels must have inspired the woman who answered the phone. She stayed on the phone with me for an entire hour, comforting me and soothing me until the terror passed. I will never forget her kindness. I now try to be a good listener when someone confides in me, and be as much of a support as that anonymous woman was for me.
Such a great story to share, Garnet! Thank you. You've inspired me to share one I have never told before.

Years ago, I was a brand spanking new supervisor for a Home Health company in Florida. To tell you how far back this goes, I just got assigned the first HIV case in the county. There was a lot of fear of HIV back then. Getting a nurse convinced to go in and see this patient was a daily struggle even with the education and precautions we gave them. I even remember that patient's name....Jim. Jim had been abandoned by his family once they found out and no friends would go near him. He was Alone....with a capital A. He was also only 24. He was so alone that I gave him my home phone number so when he felt panicky at night or needed a friend he could call me. There were, of course, rules against me doing this, but something just wouldn't let me not do it.

Jim called often...sometimes at 3 in the morning. I kept my word and never rushed him or left him alone in the dark without me on that phone with him. After 2 months of this, he had a few good days. On one of them, he called a taxi and came to the office. It was the first time we had met face to face. When he walked in the door, I knew who it was. He asked permission to hug me and I gave it. We then sat together and just talked. He told me he couldn't even cry because people feared his tears. :(

When Jim passed away, a letter came to me. Jim had written it just before he died. It said only, "You were the only one that cared. Don't stop caring. There are so many others out here."

Those words helped shape who I am today.

Years ago, I was a brand spanking new supervisor for a Home Health company in Florida. To tell you how far back this goes, I just got assigned the first HIV case in the county. There was a lot of fear of HIV back then. Getting a nurse convinced to go in and see this patient was a daily struggle even with the education and precautions we gave them. I even remember that patient's name....Jim. Jim had been abandoned by his family once they found out and no friends would go near him. He was Alone....with a capital A. He was also only 24. He was so alone that I gave him my home phone number so when he felt panicky at night or needed a friend he could call me. There were, of course, rules against me doing this, but something just wouldn't let me not do it.

Jim called often...sometimes at 3 in the morning. I kept my word and never rushed him or left him alone in the dark without me on that phone with him. After 2 months of this, he had a few good days. On one of them, he called a taxi and came to the office. It was the first time we had met face to face. When he walked in the door, I knew who it was. He asked permission to hug me and I gave it. We then sat together and just talked. He told me he couldn't even cry because people feared his tears. :(

When Jim passed away, a letter came to me. Jim had written it just before he died. It said only, "You were the only one that cared. Don't stop caring. There are so many others out here."

Okay, where's that damned Kleenex box!

I’m not surprised by your actions Debi - it sounds like the Debi I envision. However, the story was very striking regardless. You probably unknowingly also influenced others at the same time. Even if your actions were not necessarily obviously evident to others, I would bet that others were subtly uplifted.

Thank you again for sharing your love with those who need it. I appreciate knowing Jim’s story continues to inspire us here.

I’m not surprised by your actions Debi - it sounds like the Debi I envision. However, the story was very striking regardless. You probably unknowingly also influenced others at the same time. Even if your actions were not necessarily obviously evident to others, I would bet that others were subtly uplifted.

Thank you again for sharing your love with those who need it. I appreciate knowing Jim’s story continues to inspire us here.
It wasn't just about me, Wands, although I thank you for the kind words. The take from this is that Jim, in his dying moments, spent some of those precious moments writing a letter to encourage me. That was the true gift.

I scan through an enormous amount of material daily for the forum. Articles, memes, cartoons, news, even obits. It's rare that something makes me stop and just "think".

I often hear people ask, "I wish I knew the purpose/meaning of my life? Why are we here? What's my mission?"

I've always known this little bit of advice as true, but today, I get to remind all of you of what you might have forgotten.

This is my belief exactly. I think everything comes down to the content of our character by how much we love.