The "legion" of exorcists? Seriously?

Roffin

Reaction score
Since we are not allowed to talk about the D word, I won't discuss about the content, even though it's all just actors and fictional. What I want to bring up here is why is that show called Eli Roth Presents:The "Legion" of Exorcists? I'm sure anyone with decent knowledge about the D word would know not to put those two words in one sentence and make people make jokes about the title. What name did the possessed man give to Jesus when he was confronted? Nuff said. I know that if you look in the dictionary, the word "legion" isn't necessarily something evil but still....(This thread is not to discuss what is forbidden by the rules but rather for a laugh about a show that is fictional with bad acting)

Last edited:
Roffin, I am not familiar with this show so I really can't comment on it. By definition the word Legion means an army of men in the numbers of 3 to 6000. I don't believe the word demon is disallowed here, but the difficult stories that often go with the topic. Keeping this site free of attachments for everyone's safety I believe is the aim. She will clarify this; I am sure when she reads the post. I do not want to speak to her intentions to a deep degree. So, in looking at the title of the show you are referencing a Legion of Exorcists would mean a small army of people doing that job. From your description of the show, I assume it is a comedy? if so I agree that would not be humorous to many people of faith. The world today seems to mock belief in anything other than worldly things, so it doesn't shock me.

I have no problem with the word demon, or a discussion about exorcists.

The problem began when I allowed personal demonic experiences to be discussed here. We became a magnet for stories about demon sex and depraved stories. Then the chaos began with site trouble, and several people reported issues of activity (including myself) that appeared to be related to negative/demonic energy. That is when I made the decision to keep the site clear of this kind of "feeding" of the demons and did a warding here. My stand is if you have that kind of trouble, you need to seek clergy intervention. That is long story short, but the basis for my decision.

Shows or movies like that are for popcorn entertainment only and not to be taken with the least grain of salt. Leave the salt for the popcorn ;). I'll probably check it out and see how funny or ridiculous it is. Anyone that had any real experience(s) with that side of the paranormal knows how serious and dangerous an encounter like that can be.

From your description of the show, I assume it is a comedy? if so I agree that would not be humorous to many people of faith.
It's not a comedy but it received many bad reviews. It tries to be serious. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne
By definition the word Legion means an army of men in the numbers of 3 to 6000. I don't believe the word demon is disallowed here, but the difficult stories that often go with the topic.

So, in looking at the title of the show you are referencing a Legion of Exorcists would mean a small army of people doing that job.
It just feels a little weird using the word "Legion of exorcists" as during the encounter with the possessed man in the Bible, when the demons were asked to state their name, they replied "Legion for we are many". If you look in the dictionary, the word "Legion" doesn't necessarily refer to something demonic but in terms of discussion of the exorcisms and the Bible, the name seems to have stuck and the connotation is unavoidable.
From wikipedia:
The earliest version of this story exists in the Gospel of Mark, described as taking place in "the country of the Gerasenes". Jesus encounters a possessed man and calls on the demon to emerge, demanding to know its name – an important element of traditional exorcism practice.[1] He finds the man is possessed by a multitude of demons who give the collective name of "Legion". Fearing that Jesus will drive them out of the world and into the abyss, they beg him instead to cast them into a herd of pigs on a nearby hill, which he does. The pigs then rush into the sea and are drowned (Mark 5:1–5:13).

Last edited:
(One slight correction: After reading further, I have to say I don't know if the experts who are relating their stories are fictional characters or are supposed to be real life people who have experience. I seemed to have to got the impression that they are fictional from the reviews but now I'm not so sure.)

It just feels a little weird using the word "Legion of exorcists" as during the encounter with the possessed man in the Bible, when the demons were asked to state their name, they replied "Legion for we are many". If you look in the dictionary, the word "Legion" doesn't necessarily refer to something demonic but in terms of discussion of the exorcisms and the Bible, the name seems to have stuck and the connotation is unavoidable.
From wikipedia:
The earliest version of this story exists in the Gospel of Mark, described as taking place in "the country of the Gerasenes". Jesus encounters a possessed man and calls on the demon to emerge, demanding to know its name – an important element of traditional exorcism practice.[1] He finds the man is possessed by a multitude of demons who give the collective name of "Legion". Fearing that Jesus will drive them out of the world and into the abyss, they beg him instead to cast them into a herd of pigs on a nearby hill, which he does. The pigs then rush into the sea and are drowned (Mark 5:1–5:13).
I think we are agreeing on this definition Roffin. The word legion means thousands, and, in the scripture, I believe the Demon is referencing itself as not being one but thousands using the word legion.

Reactions: Roffin
(One slight correction: After reading further, I have to say I don't know if the experts who are relating their stories are fictional characters or are supposed to be real life people who have experience. I seemed to have to got the impression that they are fictional from the reviews but now I'm not so sure.)
It wouldn't be the first show to use artistic license on scripture and I think they will pay a spiritual price for that if that is what they did.

Reactions: Roffin