The Khufu Ship Mystery continues

I saw this story and was going to share it yesterday, but the plethora of ads made me think twice.

It's a beautiful ship, but I wouldn't set foot on it were they to chuck it into the Nile. :p I don't have that much trust.

Unless there are other examples of ships being used as floating cranes, I doubt it was used as that. It doesn't look like it would be stable enough.

uuuhhhhh, what exactly is the mystery? It's a funeral ship, designed to ferry the souls of the dead to the afterlife.

Robert Howard used them as the basis for the boats that carried [deceased] priests of Ishtar downriver in his Conan series. IIRC, it was mentioned in one of his letters to Lovecraft.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
uuuhhhhh, what exactly is the mystery? It's a funeral ship, designed to ferry the souls of the dead to the afterlife.

Robert Howard used them as the basis for the boats that carried [deceased] priests of Ishtar downriver in his Conan series. IIRC, it was mentioned in one of his letters to Lovecraft.
And Ronin solves the mystery! Simple and basic explanation. Thank you!

Seeing something built so long ago is amazing.

Yes of course it was for Khufu - because it was next to Knufu's pyramid, because they all agree it was 'im wot built it.

.....anyone seen Khufu recently? He must have been such a God that people would be carving statues of him all over the place I would think - at least put his face on a rock face like George Washington 60 feet tall.

Anyone.............???

Nope.

This is Khufu.

45176102862_280b72a844_b.jpg

This is the ONLY statue of Khufu that is known.........and he stands just under 3 inches high.

Even Howard Vyse couldn't find his name in the Great Pyramid - and he was paid to find it!
Oh, sorry - he did find it when he had blasted his way into a crawlspace that was never meant to be seen. He found Khufu's name scribbled in crayon - and even managed to spell his name wrong. But so firm was his belief, Vyse carved his own tablet beside the front door declaring it as Khufu's - what a vandal ....and claimed his money for proving what he set out to do.

Yes of course it was for Khufu - because it was next to Knufu's pyramid, because they all agree it was 'im wot built it.

.....anyone seen Khufu recently? He must have been such a God that people would be carving statues of him all over the place I would think - at least put his face on a rock face like George Washington 60 feet tall.

Anyone.............???

Nope.

This is Khufu.

45176102862_280b72a844_b.jpg

This is the ONLY statue of Khufu that is known.........and he stands just under 3 inches high.

Even Howard Vyse couldn't find his name in the Great Pyramid - and he was paid to find it!
Oh, sorry - he did find it when he had blasted his way into a crawlspace that was never meant to be seen. He found Khufu's name scribbled in crayon - and even managed to spell his name wrong. But so firm was his belief, Vyse carved his own tablet beside the front door declaring it as Khufu's - what a vandal ....and claimed his money for proving what he set out to do.
I agree with you that we don’t really know what the pyramids were built for. Perhaps the boat was meant to sail in...just a thought lol. There was probably water there in ancient times.

That is an upriver boat. When people used the rivers as primary transportation routes the boats mad to go down river were wide and usually rather crudely made because they were for one trip only. They could carry huge loads and then they were unloaded disassembled and the "lumber" was sold or repurposed. the long slender design of the Knufu boat and the beautiful sleek lines were to reduce the influence of current. This boat went up the river and returned. Only the wealthy and powerful could have owned and afforded such things. On top of the quality of their manufacturing, you had to hide a crew to power it. The 10 oars probably each had a man on it rowing it.

The only undisturbed tomb that we have to see what might be included was Tut's and it was a treasure trove of worldly goods and wealth. He was relatively speaking a rather minor king, young with a short reign. Knufu was a much more powerful ruler with a longer reign. The fact that there were few surviving images of him isn't strange or rare. There were lots of kings that once gone were not loved. When you DEFACED their images it would damage their status in the afterlife. there were entire huge pyramids disassembled mostly for spite...and to use the building blocks to build the new king some big structures. The Great Pyramid itself was scavenged of its white casing stones. As it was built it was snow white and smooth with the rough step stones covered.

I spend WAY too much time watching nerd TV and reading NERD books and magazines!!!

Reactions: Lynne
I spent way too long on the great pyramid - about 12 years on and off. I think I have figured most of it out. You can tell when you are getting close to the truth when you get visits telling you to keep quiet. Some bits I can talk about . Some bits I can't - or I get ill.

The only bit I have not figured out completely is the portcullis stones at the entrance to the kings chamber.

It's not just the pyramid either; It's what was going on at the time also that is important, and involves other bits and pieces in history that also are an enigma. The thing about the Pyramids is everyone has their own ideas about them, and I respect that. My theories are just as wild and valid as others out there. They are just different that is all, and I'm happy with that.