The haunting by The Watcher

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Haunting of a Dream House

The Watcher
A family bought their dream house. But according to the creepy letters they started to get, they weren’t the only ones interested in it.

One night in June 2014, Derek Broaddus had just finished an evening of painting at his new home in Westfield, New Jersey, when he went outside to check the mail. Derek and his wife, Maria, had closed on the six-bedroom house at 657 Boulevard three days earlier and were doing some renovations before they moved in, so there wasn’t much in the mail except a few bills and a white, card-shaped envelope. It was addressed in thick, clunky handwriting to “The New Owner,” and the typed note inside began warmly:

Dearest new neighbor at 657 Boulevard,

Allow me to welcome you to the neighborhood.

For the Broadduses, buying 657 Boulevard had fulfilled a dream. Maria was raised in Westfield, and the house was a few blocks from her childhood home. Derek grew up working class in Maine, then moved his way up the ladder at an insurance company in Manhattan to become a senior vice-president with a salary large enough to afford the $1.3 million house. The Broadduses had bought 657 Boulevard just after Derek celebrated his 40th birthday, and their three kids were already debating which of the house’s fireplaces Santa Claus would use.

But as Derek kept reading the letter from his new neighbor, it took a turn. “How did you end up here?” the writer asked. “Did 657 Boulevard call to you with its force within?” The letter went on:

657 Boulevard has been the subject of my family for decades now and as it approaches its 110th birthday, I have been put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming. My grandfather watched the house in the 1920s and my father watched in the 1960s. It is now my time. Do you know the history of the house? Do you know what lies within the walls of 657 Boulevard? Why are you here? I will find out.

The author’s reconnaissance had apparently already begun. The letter identified the Broadduses’ Honda minivan, as well as the workers renovating the home. “I see already that you have flooded 657 Boulevard with contractors so that you can destroy the house as it was supposed to be,” the person wrote. “Tsk, tsk, tsk … bad move. You don’t want to make 657 Boulevard unhappy.” Earlier in the week, Derek and Maria had gone to the house and chatted with their new neighbors while their children, who were 5, 8, and 10 years old, ran around the backyard with several kids from the neighborhood. The letter writer seemed to have noticed. “You have children. I have seen them. So far I think there are three that I have counted,” the anonymous correspondent wrote, before asking if there were “more on the way”:

Do you need to fill the house with the young blood I requested? Better for me. Was your old house too small for the growing family? Or was it greed to bring me your children? Once I know their names I will call to them and draw them too [sic] me.

The envelope had no return address. “Who am I?” the person wrote. “There are hundreds and hundreds of cars that drive by 657 Boulevard each day. Maybe I am in one. Look at all the windows you can see from 657 Boulevard. Maybe I am in one. Look out any of the many windows in 657 Boulevard at all the people who stroll by each day. Maybe I am one.” The letter concluded with a suggestion that this message would not be the last — “Welcome my friends, welcome. Let the party begin” — followed by a signature typed in a cursive font: “The Watcher.”

It was after 10 p.m., and Derek Broaddus was alone. He raced around the house, turning off lights so no one could see inside, then called the Westfield Police Department. An officer came to the house, read the letter, and said, “What the heck is this?” He asked Derek if he had enemies and recommended moving a piece of construction equipment from the back porch in case The Watcher tried to toss it through a window.

Derek rushed back to his wife and kids, who were living at their old home elsewhere in Westfield. That night, Derek and Maria wrote an email to John and Andrea Woods, the couple who sold them 657 Boulevard, to ask if they had any idea who The Watcher might be or why he or she had written, “I asked the Woods to bring me young blood and it looks like they listened.”

Full story at site and it just gets creepier!

Reactions: Akata
After reading the story, there is no way I would ever feel safe in that house. How about you?

Reactions: Akata
After reading the story, there is no way I would ever feel safe in that house. How about you?
I have followed this story for quite a long time. It really is a very strange case!

Perhaps I am different, in that things don't bother me in that way, I'm no pretending to be tougher than your average person, it is still possible for me to feel fear, but I deal with it differently, Perhaps I have become less afraid because of my many encounters and experience of handling the demonic and negative energies, it would not stop me from living there, but as usual if I move house I have a set of routines I would perform as a matter of course. It is a place I would like to do an investigation though ! It is no coincidence imo that once people become aware of something the typical following events are enhanced, but it is difficult to always ascertain if events seem more prolific because their awareness is greater or not ?

Perhaps I am different, in that things don't bother me in that way, I'm no pretending to be tougher than your average person, it is still possible for me to feel fear, but I deal with it differently, Perhaps I have become less afraid because of my many encounters and experience of handling the demonic and negative energies, it would not stop me from living there, but as usual if I move house I have a set of routines I would perform as a matter of course. It is a place I would like to do an investigation though ! It is no coincidence imo that once people become aware of something the typical following events are enhanced, but it is difficult to always ascertain if events seem more prolific because their awareness is greater or not ?
The paranormal does not scare me as I've dealt with it for 60 years, Akata. However, in this case, it is a human behind the stalking "haunting", and humans are dangerous.

Holy Jeezers. I saw that story on the national news a few years ago and that it was cringeworthy then. Certainly way more scary after reading all the additional details on that website.

I think I’ve now become afraid of looking at my own mail.

It’s called gaslighting. I have been through a very close parallel of their situation. My neighbor owns one of those parabolic eavesdropping audio devices. One of their forms of gaslighting was to be sure that we would hear snippets of very private home conversations at a place online where they posted, where they learned I was posting. One of their sons specialized in computers & has hacked computers at his high school. These people in the story likely had a neighbor who could sit by an open window & hear a gnat fart in the most cloistered part of their home. They use these devices in wildlife photography & they’re reasonably priced online for someone who has amassed a nice bundle of assets.

The situation has been going on for 25 years. An old employee/reformed henchman & renter of theirs spilled the beans on them when he grew fond of me & had a crush near the very outset of their plan. He said that the husband tried to make a bet with him on that via their harassment, they’d have us out within 6 months.

They had gaslighted the previous owner by letting his pet pig out nearly every night. They did the same thing with my horses & would tie them up & beat their legs where I’d find them the next day with contusions.

The wife got a job at my kids school & stalked my daughter around the halls the day after one of her horses was injured saying “so how is your day going?” With a creepy smile. The reformed employee told me that their intent with the previous owner was to make him lose his sobriety, make him start drinking again, force him into bankruptcy by also filing frivolous lawsuits over inch discrepancies on fence lines. To which they succeeded on all counts, with a further insidious twist...

All this was unbeknownst to me when I saw the property on the market just days before it went into foreclosure. I made an offer, which the poor man quickly accepted. We moved in a couple months later. He had so many plans for the place that their gaslighting robbed him of. He committed suicide a month or two after we moved in. These neighbors expressed no remorse at this & immediately began harassing us in identical fashion.

After the suicide, the reformed henchman who used to help them harass others grabbing properties around our County at discount (they have a dozen or more rentals on top of their home), simply couldn’t stomach it anymore. As I said, he had a crush on me. I had a new infant son who he also bonded with, not being able to have kids of his own. So he opened up & spilled their diabolical nature & liberal use of gaslighting. He also informed that the neighbor man was in Vietnam working on special ops for the CIA. He said “you won’t believe what they will do to you, the lengths they’ll go”. Neighbor man’s specialty was in sabotage.

The reformed henchman said they had a book on how to gaslight people in their home which he’d seen in use many times. My ex was invited in a couple times (another means of theirs was to break up relationships, knowing that the expense & desperation of divorce lowers asking prices on land too) & told me he saw the book.

Thank God for the reformed henchman. Due to his exposure & explanation of gaslighting, I didn’t go as far down the rabbit hole as they would’ve liked me too. Though I did resort to many investigations & courted help to where my friends bought the neighbors’ attendant double-jeopardy essential in any good gaslighting: blame the victims saying they’re crazy & making it all up. I think that’s in chapter five of the gaslighting manual.

My heart goes out to these people. I suspect as in my case, they are dealing with someone obsessed with getting a certain parcel of land at a price they can afford. The obsession takes on a life of its own & these predators have no conscience whatsoever about driving families apart, making them insane enough to kill themselves, all to pile up assets in their name.

This story was very difficult for me to read. The PTSD is real. My daughter is still in counseling over it. But it could’ve been so much worse if that henchman had never clued me in. I or my kids could be institutionalized by now. Imagine the irony.