The Greenbrier Ghost

T-Bob

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Today, while in the vicinity, I visited the grave of 'The Greenbrier Ghost.' It's an old ghost story here in WV based in fact. The ghost of a woman killed by her husband comes back from the grave to get him convicted of murder. I took a couple of pictures of the grave marker of Zona Heaster Shue, who was murdered in 1897. I noticed the some visitors had left coins on the tombstone, maybe to help her pay Charon for the ferry ride across the river, so that her soul can rest.

The Greenbrier Ghost - Appalachian History

Greenbrier Ghost_LR.jpg

Greenbrier Ghost2_LR.jpg

Today, while in the vicinity, I visited the grave of 'The Greenbrier Ghost.' It's an old ghost story here in WV based in fact. The ghost of a woman killed by her husband comes back from the grave to get him convicted of murder. I took a couple of pictures of the grave marker of Zona Heaster Shue, who was murdered in 1897. I noticed the some visitors had left coins on the tombstone, maybe to help her pay Charon for the ferry ride across the river, so that her soul can rest.

The Greenbrier Ghost - Appalachian History

View attachment 14024

View attachment 14025
Very, very cool post, Bob. Thank you so much. I love the fact the coins have been left there.

Reactions: Lynne
Very, very cool post, Bob. Thank you so much. I love the fact the coins have been left there.

A few years ago when I saw coins on the gravestone of a young Marine who had died in Vietnam, I mentiond it to my brother-in-law, also a former Marine. I was surprised to find out coins are left as a a tribute from other vets, with the denomination of the coin defining what level of involvement (if any) there was between the deceased and still living vets.

The coin tribute is something new to me. I’m always learning on this forum.