The Games We Play

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
What's your favorite board game, and why?

How about cards?

1617552495862.png

I confess to being the worst card player in history.

Now, board games...give me Stratego or Battleship and you're a goner.

Growing up, Chess. I started playing it on the PC and then moved onto the actual board game. It's just been awhile since I've played.
A game that has always befuddled me. I have made two short attempts to learn it and gave up. (I have an inpatient teacher...)

We used to play a lot of cards and dominos. Nearly every Friday night we went to my parent's house and played Canasta, Spades, Moon, or 42. My wife and I play 500 Rummy pretty often. We like to play parchisi and things like that but most of the big-name board games are not as good for just a couple to play. I like chess but my wife doesn't see the pleasure in it so I don't play it much anymore.

When I was a kid, kids used to play all sorts of card and board games but video games have mostly put those in the past now. We used to have marathon games of risk, monopoly, and card games. Back then kids didn't just sit around the house. Your Mama fed you breakfast and then sent you outside to play. If you didn't then she would find you something to DO and it was never going to be a fun chore. Actually being in the house wasn't all that great. This was before airconditioning so outside was usually as cool or cooler than being in the house.

Families were generally bigger back then and with 4 to 6 kids in a lot of homes and 2 or 3 being considered a small family, it was pretty wild in the summer when we all were tossed out to find something to do. Where I was raised there were a lot of woods and we would build all sorts of things in and through the woods. It is really amazing what 12 or 15 kids can do as far as clearing brush and building things.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
A game that has always befuddled me. I have made two short attempts to learn it and gave up. (I have an inpatient teacher...)
I taught my then five or six year old nephew to play. I'm not sure what drew me to the game in the first place, but I just found it interesting. I may see if I can download it again for old times sake.

I learned how to play chess when I was a little kid and used to play with my Dad. As I got older it seemed to get harder and harder to find people that wanted to play. I suspect that my circle of friends back then would not have been described as being especially high brow. If I had it to do over again and knew what I know now my friends of choice would be much different.

The thing about chess is that it is not an exciting game. It can be stimulating and an intellectual challenge but it is a game that requires a lot of thought and a certain kind of patience. Generally, the games are not fast.

I learned how to play chess when I was a little kid and used to play with my Dad. As I got older it seemed to get harder and harder to find people that wanted to play. I suspect that my circle of friends back then would not have been described as being especially high brow. If I had it to do over again and knew what I know now my friends of choice would be much different.

The thing about chess is that it is not an exciting game. It can be stimulating and an intellectual challenge but it is a game that requires a lot of thought and a certain kind of patience. Generally, the games are not fast.
I think you just hit on my problem with the game. I got bored...lol I prefer something a wee bit faster moving...lol

Back in the early 70s, "Sports Illustrated" marketed a board game called "Bowl Bound." It included game cards from some of the best college football teams of the 60s and early 70s, allowing match ups of specific teams from specific years. I loved playing 1970 Northwestern against all comers. Great game.

Reactions: Benway
Chess, of course, when I was young. My dad had a Master's rating but I never really developed the patience for the game. I'm sure I was a huge disappointment to dad, lol.
In college we played Risk and Scrabble, still have both games. My first wife and I got into Trivial Pursuit when it first was launched, but I dropped the game like a hot potato when I found an incorrect answer to an astronomy question. It lost all credibility and I gave it away.
I don't think I've looked at a board game since becoming an empty nester a decade ago.

Reactions: Benway