The Farmer's Almanac says....

To show the uncertainty of a weak, developing El Nino’s interconnectedness, 2008 was the most recent year with similar ENSO values (though it went on to become a moderate event in 2009). In 2008, the Pacific hurricane season (Eastern and Western) were near normal in storm numbers with the Eastern Pacific below-average in terms of ACE. Over in the Atlantic, the season was above average in storm count(16 named storms, eight hurricanes) and ACE, causing over1000 deaths and $50 billion in damages. Quite the opposite response to what we are seeing this year, showing how other factors may play a bigger role during these weak or developing events.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
Woolly Worm ... Superstition Or Accurate Predictor Of Winter?

Let's start by looking at what a wolly worm is. The woolly worm is actually the tiger moths in the larva stage. The technical name for the woolly worm is Pyrrharctia Isabella. In the late summer / fall these woolly worms start to appear more and more. In case you didn't know, folklore says that thin brown bands on the woolly worms means a harsh winter is coming, wider brown banded woolly worms mean a mild winter, nearly black woolly worms means a severe winter is coming, and finally the very light brown or white woolly worms mean a snowy winter according to the folklore.

And the ones I'm seeing here in my neck of the woods are all black!

40467636_154824438762313_6102677820675194880_n.jpg
I wonder what you could predict by how fuzzy or prickly looking they are.

Reactions: Debi
Hi Debi and Lynne,
I don't think we can tell long term weather yet, and it is getting more unpredictable, there is a theory called Chaos Theory or the Butterfly Effect, which is a theory that a butterfly fluttering its wings in the Amazon can in time cause a storm on the other side of the globe!
I liked the Maine almanac mention, i love the Maine Coon cat, they are huge, but expensive to feed, i bet they eat a whole salmon for breakfast ha ha!
Maine Coon - Wikipedia

Reactions: Lynne and 7Critter
Hi Debi and Lynne,
I don't think we can tell long term weather yet, and it is getting more unpredictable, there is a theory called Chaos Theory or the Butterfly Effect, which is a theory that a butterfly fluttering its wings in the Amazon can in time cause a storm on the other side of the globe!
I liked the Maine almanac mention, i love the Maine Coon cat, they are huge, but expensive to feed, i bet they eat a whole salmon for breakfast ha ha!
Maine Coon - Wikipedia
Beautiful cats for sure.