The Farmer's Almanac says....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Maine's Farmers' Almanac predicts 'teeth-chattering' winter, lots of snow

LEWISTON, Maine —

It may be hard to think about the cold and snow at the end of August, but the 2019 Farmers' Almanac is out with its winter predictions.

The Maine-based publication is predicting "teeth-chattering" cold and plenty of snow.

New England will see the coldest weather mid-February, according to editor Peter Geiger.

The Farmers' Almanac is also predicting snow to start early for New England, with above-normal snowfall in January and February.

If you are hoping a frigid, snowy winter means a break once spring arrives in March, don't hold your breath, according to the Farmers' Almanac.

The publication is predicting a big winter storm for the East Coast between March 20-23.

Tap here to read more of the Farmers' Almanac's winter outlook.

Reactions: TonyM
Reactions: Debi
Woolly Worm ... Superstition Or Accurate Predictor Of Winter?

Let's start by looking at what a wolly worm is. The woolly worm is actually the tiger moths in the larva stage. The technical name for the woolly worm is Pyrrharctia Isabella. In the late summer / fall these woolly worms start to appear more and more. In case you didn't know, folklore says that thin brown bands on the woolly worms means a harsh winter is coming, wider brown banded woolly worms mean a mild winter, nearly black woolly worms means a severe winter is coming, and finally the very light brown or white woolly worms mean a snowy winter according to the folklore.

And the ones I'm seeing here in my neck of the woods are all black!

40467636_154824438762313_6102677820675194880_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Charleh and TonyM
Does anyone have any other ways to foretell the weather? Would be interested in hearing them!

I've never paid much attention to it here but being surrounded by farms with cattle it's said if the cows are lying down in the field during the day it's going to rain. This is Scotland it always rains lol

Reactions: Lynne
Well the coats on the horses and outdoor animals give a clue. I think we’re going g to have a long fall because my horse is not shedding her summer coat yet.

We go by El Niño and el Nina in Texas which is based off the conditions of the ocean