The Dowsing Phenomenon

I have used dowsing rods a few times in the past. The first time I used them was with a group investigating The Vyne in Hampshire. I was a true sceptic in regards to using these as a communication method within the paranormal field. However, after some rather interesting results that night, whilst personally using them, I became a bit more of a believer.

I have since used rods on a number of occasions, some with results, some without.

For those that think that rods are simply responding to the random movements of the person holding the rods (or to be more scientifically precise, the ideomotor effect) and that they are typically held in a position of unstable equilibrium so that a small movement gets amplified into a big movement, this is not always the case. This is what I believed initially (looking to answer the 'why does this work?' question), so I conducted an experiment on one investigation where we locked off the rod's handles with clamps mounted on a small tripod. We asked simple questions, requesting the rods crossed for 'yes' and leaving them for 'no'. The experiment was conducted indoors with no breeze or other airflow apparent (we fogged up the room with a haze machine to check for airflow patterns in the fog, but none were noted).

We had a few responses relative to the questions being asked and even at one point, the rods separate themselves after answering questions 'they' replied to.

My theory is, as a lot of investigators believe that an entity is nothing more than some form of energy, the spirits either use this to physically move the rods (the same way a poltergeist moves objects, for example) or, using their energy, they can somehow manipulate the charge of the rods (all rods I have used have been metallic in nature) by adjusting the protons at an atomic level, making one more positively charged, and the other more negatively charged, and hence causing an attraction. When they were seen to separate, this induced charge could have been manipulated to a repelling force (i.e. both rods were either positively or negatively charged), sending the rods apart.

I would like to run this experiment again sometime in the future, but this time also using some electroscopes (not something in my kit in those days) around the test rig to note if there is any particular charge in the atmosphere before the rods are manipulated.

Reactions: Debi