The book of Enoch

Armand

Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
I listened to the book of Enoch last night audio version. Interesting. It's about the 200 angels that decided to have sex with woman and they had offspring "the Nephilim " I knew about this but the thing I didn't know is they were not demons until they did this but not only did they have offspring they taught people about things we use today. "And Azazel taught men to make swords and knives and shields and breastplates and made known to them the metals [of the earth] and the art of working them" They were a total of 200 each one taught different skills. Gabrial reported this to god and he cursed them to be demons.

1. Semyaza, Shemyaza, Semjaza, Semiaza, Samyaza, Shemhazai
"Taught enchantments and root-cuttings."

2. Azazel, Azazyel, Azaziel
"Taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures."

Pretty good if you get the chance to listen.
if you want here is a list of the 200 Angels that fell for these blasphemies.
The names of the Watchers

List of Fallen Angels - Angelicpedia

Last edited:
I've known about and been intrigued by the Book of Enoch for years but never read it. It's clearly important, so I really should. I'll shunt it up my reading list. From the part you quoted the major objections seem to be increasing the art of war and glorifying the material body.

Reactions: Armand and Charleh
I've known about and been intrigued by the Book of Enoch for years but never read it. It's clearly important, so I really should. I'll shunt it up my reading list. From the part you quoted the major objections seem to be increasing the art of war and glorifying the material body.
After listening to it I think maybe the pope restricted it from the bible because we all use the things these "Angels" taught and if the world thought it was already damned there would be total anarchy. My thing is IF you believe in Jesus you know the world isn't damned.

Not sure how far I should get into the religious aspects of it The audiobook is 3 and a half hours long I listened at bedtime so I didn't hear the whole thing.
I will most likely pick up where I left off this weekend while multi-tasking.

Reactions: Benway and Charleh
After listening to it I think maybe the pope restricted it from the bible because we all use the things these "Angels" taught and if the world thought it was already damned there would be total anarchy. My thing is IF you believe in Jesus you know the world isn't damned.

Not sure how far I should get into the religious aspects of it The audiobook is 3 and a half hours long I listened at bedtime so I didn't hear the whole thing.
I will most likely pick up where I left off this weekend while multi-tasking.
This was one book I enjoyed just reading and read over a part just to really see how the watchers and the archangels played in the timeline. Along with other intriguing parts. I’ve only got halfway in.

Thanks for sharing this. I will listen to it.

Reactions: Armand
Thanks for sharing this. I will listen to it.
It maybe important to note that this book was not considered scripture (inspired of God) because it was in existence at the time of Christ and the apostles, and it was never cited nor referenced by them. However it was considered an important book just not god inspired. I’m on the fence with it however it is always good to consider everything.

It maybe important to note that this book was not considered scripture (inspired of God) because it was in existence at the time of Christ and the apostles, and it was never cited nor referenced by them. However it was considered an important book just not god inspired. I’m on the fence with it however it is always good to consider everything.
Yes I read that it was not translated to English until the late 18 hundreds (R.H. Charles, ed. and trans., The Book of Enoch [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893] When they state that it was "edited" and translated that kind of scares me "Edited" to me means changed.. Not sure I want to dig deep into researching this because it begins to twist everything that I have believed and for me that is dangerous.

I am gonna look into the other scrolls like the book of Judas and of Mary.

Reactions: Benway
Yes I read that it was not translated to English until the late 18 hundreds (R.H. Charles, ed. and trans., The Book of Enoch [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893] When they state that it was "edited" and translated that kind of scares me "Edited" to me means changed.. Not sure I want to dig deep into researching this because it begins to twist everything that I have believed and for me that is dangerous.

Now that you mentioned editing, there are a few chapters missing in the book of Enoch.

Reactions: Benway and Armand

It's easy to find original language versions, lexicons and notes on all the canonical scriptures, but there's a frustrating lack of the same with the more obscure ones. I'd love for the Expanded Bible (EXB) to tackle some of them. I often worry when reading them that I don't know what the original words were and what is a translation choice. There are some glaring errors! One I read translates 'daemon' (meaning any supernatural being from ghost to gods (but not God)) as demon and consequently makes it look like all Romans and Greeks worshiped the servants of Satan. Not good, and I wonder how many less obvious translation errors I'm missing.

I've never read Judas, but if you are referring to the Gospel of Mary I know that well. Horribly it was found in perfect condition despite being over 1500 years old but some thief tore out most of the pages before it could be translated. They have never turned up in any collection. The book could only have survived because of it's protective cover and being in an airtight dry place. The pages probably couldn't survive that treatment for long and the only copy in existence was destroyed (barring a few pages) out of greed and ignorance.

The book itself has simularities to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, but predates it by over a thousand years (even the surviving pages are a thousand years older than the earliest date for the TBOTD!) There's also a knowing humourous moment in it that I love.

Reactions: Armand and Charleh