The Black Spiders of Mars

Credit to Stevedog for the find on this one!

That photo reminds me of an anime movie, called 'Spirited Away.' Anyone who has seen it will know what I am talking about!

Haven't seen this one.
It's called Spirited Away from Studio Ghibli and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Those name may not mean much, but in the anime community Studio Ghibli is known for superb visual story telling and Miyazaki is one of, perhaps the, best anime directors of all time. Spirited Away is like the Citizen Kane of anime films.

It's a genre called isekai, which is where the protagonist is someone dealing with pressures and problems in life. They are then suddenly transported to a different world that is strange and unusual with different rules and norms. In order to navigate this world and find the way home they must meet and help others along the way which imparts important lessons on them which apply to the issues they were having in the "real world". This covers classic stories like Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland but also more modern stories like Labrynth, Jumanji and to an extent The Matrix. So while it's definitely a highly regarded and recommended film, be prepared to be a bit confused at times and to spend time thinking about the themes after the credits roll.

Last edited:
It's called Spirited Away from Studio Ghibli and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Those name may not mean much, but in the anime community Studio Ghibli is known for superb visual story telling and Miyazaki is one of, perhaps the, best anime directors of all time. Spirited Away is like the Citizen Kane of anime films.

It's a genre called isekai, which is where the protagonist is someone dealing with pressures and problems in life. They are then suddenly transported to a different world that is strange and unusual with different rules and norms. In order to navigate this world and find the way they must meet and help others along the way which imparts important lessons on them which apply to the issues they were having in the "real world". This covers classic stories like Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland but also more modern stories like Labrynth, Jumanji and to an extent The Matrix. So while it's definitely a highly regarded and recommended film, be prepared to be a bit confused at times and to spend time thinking about the themes after the credits roll.
I love anime, and this explanation really rocks. Thanks, Stevedog!

Reminds me of the trees on Mars which NASA insists are not trees even though they look exactly like trees ...

Link

With NASA, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ... it's a rock. :cool:
Oh you are so right on there Crux, you made me chuckle this morning.

Reactions: crux