The Bike

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
83725579_3408101972585177_1154084293987794944_n.jpg

Reactions: garnetsilver
I remember my first bike. I shared it with my brother. i don't remember the learning process and who may have helped me. I suspect that I learned without training wheels since my brother was older and learned before me. I remember some crashes, but I do not remember the first.

I taught my three girls to ride and I have taught other children when I could still run along side them. Today, no way. I may have one more person to get onto a bike. Mrs Critter. She rode years ago. I am trying to get her to try my pedal-assist bicycle. I have had it for 17 months. So far she has not attempted.

I got my first bike for Christmas when I was in second grade, but had ridden my older brother's before that. No training wheels, my brother taught me how to ride. I remember one serious bike crash, but I was in fifth grade when that one happened.

I had a blue Schwinn bike as a young one, and I had an epic crash at one point. Hit a pothole and went OVER the handlebars, because, of course, I was peddling as fast as I could and hit it in standing position. It was at dusk, the streetlights had come on and I had about two minutes to get home from 10 blocks away before my mom had a fit. We had no helmets back then and I was lucky enough to keep my head off the pavement but the entire right side of me was a lesson in severe road rash and embedded small rocks. Bent the bike, which I somehow managed to walk home, with tears streaming and blood flowing. I think I was more upset my beloved bike had been killed than anything else. Got a purple one the next round...lol

I remember learning how to ride fairly young. My dad had long legs and kept up pretty well with me down the sidewalk. Had training wheels for about a week, then I was off and flying.

Anyone else use the playing card in the spokes for the noise value?

No playing cards, just baseball cards. Those were the days in the mid-1970s when we were all independently wealthy.;)
Had a girlfriend with two young boys ,remember taking them out to buy their new bikes. Fun times.

I was about 7 or 8 when my parents got me my first bike. My Mom decided that she should be the one to teach me how to ride because she didn't like my Dads plan for teaching me. Her method was to push the bike in circles around the inside of the garage with the promise that when I was ready she would push the bike in circles on the driveway and someday, eventually, on the sidewalk in front of the house. So I spent many months with my Mom's lessons when she finally took the training wheels off, because they had actually broken. She promptly put a new pair of training wheels on the bike and continued the drill of pushing me around the garage and driveway. The second set of training wheels broke and my Mom was planing to go out and get more. My Dad offered to take the broken wheels off and asked if I wanted to help him. We went out into the garage, my Dad took the wheels off and asked me to sit on the bike to make sure the size was still okay. I sat on the bike and my Dad told me to hold on tight and to not stop pedaling because that would cause the bike to fall over. He then pushed the bike down the driveway where I rode out into the street. He then went back inside and sat down on the couch to watch TV. Because my entire bike riding lessons up to that point had been my Mom pushing the bike I didn't actually know to properly stop riding and get off the bike so I just kept pedaling. I spent about an hour riding my bike in circles around the cul de sac before my Mom figured out what had happened and yelled at my Dad. They both came out and I remember my Dad saying "See, he's doing just fine." My Mom asked if I was ready to come inside and I yelled out "Yes, but I don't know how to stop!"

That was how I learned to ride a bike.

I was about 7 or 8 when my parents got me my first bike. My Mom decided that she should be the one to teach me how to ride because she didn't like my Dads plan for teaching me. Her method was to push the bike in circles around the inside of the garage with the promise that when I was ready she would push the bike in circles on the driveway and someday, eventually, on the sidewalk in front of the house. So I spent many months with my Mom's lessons when she finally took the training wheels off, because they had actually broken. She promptly put a new pair of training wheels on the bike and continued the drill of pushing me around the garage and driveway. The second set of training wheels broke and my Mom was planing to go out and get more. My Dad offered to take the broken wheels off and asked if I wanted to help him. We went out into the garage, my Dad took the wheels off and asked me to sit on the bike to make sure the size was still okay. I sat on the bike and my Dad told me to hold on tight and to not stop pedaling because that would cause the bike to fall over. He then pushed the bike down the driveway where I rode out into the street. He then went back inside and sat down on the couch to watch TV. Because my entire bike riding lessons up to that point had been my Mom pushing the bike I didn't actually know to properly stop riding and get off the bike so I just kept pedaling. I spent about an hour riding my bike in circles around the cul de sac before my Mom figured out what had happened and yelled at my Dad. They both came out and I remember my Dad saying "See, he's doing just fine." My Mom asked if I was ready to come inside and I yelled out "Yes, but I don't know how to stop!"

ROFL! OMG, Steve! What a great story of childhood! :p:D

I love that story.

Best story of the day.

My own story is pretty typical of the times. My parents bought me a bike that “I could grow into “ :rolleyes: . Well, at 7 I had a FULL size bike. My YOUNG parents would set me on it and run beside me a few steps before pushing the bike and yelling “keep peddling”! Lol. After many falls I finally learned out of self preservation. For years I had to find places to MOUNT and DISMOUNT my bike. TRAINING WHEELS WERE NOT A PART IF THE TRAINING.