The 10 Most Common Elements of a Near-Death Experience (NDE)

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
Not all near-death experiences (NDE) are alike, contrary to a popular belief. In the stereotypical NDE, the person clinically dies, enters a tunnel of light, is greeted by relatives or beings of light, is told that he or she is not ready to pass on, and is sent back to awaken back in this life.

That particular NDE scenario has been reported many times, but it by no means happens for every experiencer. However, there are components of the NDE that are part of the experience for a majority, or at least a good percentage, of people who have reported them.

Noted NDE researcher P.M.H. Atwater has cataloged many of those components in a "Common Aspects Analysis", and Kevin Williams has further analyzed them based on an examination of 50 NDEs profiled on the Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife website. Williams admits that his is not a scientific or exhaustive study, but it does provide an interesting view of the reported phenomenon.

Here are the top 10 characteristics, according to Williams:

• A Feeling of Overwhelming Love
  • Mental Telepathy
  • Life Review
  • God
  • Unlimited Knowledge
  • Afterlife Levels
  • Told Not Ready
  • Shown the Future
  • Tunnel
  • A Debate Without Resolution
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Details for each of the 10 characteristics can be found in the article source
What Happens in the Near-Death Experience
Article author: Stephen Wagner, May 24, 2019

Heating the stories gives evidence of life after death. It is very reassuring.

Here's a question I have about NDEs: is there any evidence of when the NDE occurs? We assume that if someone clinically dies the NDE happens during the death state but what if it is happening in the moment leading up to or returning from death/unconsciousness? If brain synapses are firing or misfiring when these occur, doesn't it change the entire context of an NDE? I mean, if someone is clinically dead then brain function ceases and we can no longer measure it, right? I don't know how anyone could prove when it happens but I would be curious to know if anyone has seen any research or evidence about it.

Here's a question I have about NDEs: is there any evidence of when the NDE occurs? We assume that if someone clinically dies the NDE happens during the death state but what if it is happening in the moment leading up to or returning from death/unconsciousness? If brain synapses are firing or misfiring when these occur, doesn't it change the entire context of an NDE? I mean, if someone is clinically dead then brain function ceases and we can no longer measure it, right? I don't know how anyone could prove when it happens but I would be curious to know if anyone has seen any research or evidence about it.
All the experiencers seem adamant it was a real event. Science will always report it as the results of a dying brain. As for proof there are reports of people describing things they couldn’t have known and often in locations other than their own resting spot. I would recommend reading the NDE of Doctor Eben Alexander. He was a neurosurgeon who experienced brain death from meningitis. It may give you a new perspective.

Reactions: 7Critter
All the experiencers seem adamant it was a real event. Science will always report it as the results of a dying brain. As for proof there are reports of people describing things they couldn’t have known and often in locations other than their own resting spot. I would recommend reading the NDE of Doctor Eben Alexander. He was a neurosurgeon who experienced brain death from meningitis. It may give you a new perspective.

My dad had Alzheimer's. About two weeks before he died, my mom took pics of my dad and I in his room at the veteran's home. I reviewed the pictures after they were developed. My dad saw something in the room and he was terrified. There were only three of us in the room. Whatever my dad saw, it terrified him.

My dad had Alzheimer's. About two weeks before he died, my mom took pics of my dad and I in his room at the veteran's home. I reviewed the pictures after they were developed. My dad saw something in the room and he was terrified. There were only three of us in the room. Whatever my dad saw, it terrified him.
I’m sorry to hear that. He may just have been frightened not knowing what was next. The look of awe can appear the same. My condolences on the loss of your father.

Reactions: Ribeyebob
I’m sorry to hear that. He may just have been frightened not knowing what was next. The look of awe can appear the same. My condolences on the loss of your father.
Thank you for your kindness, Lynne. When I would put my dad to bed, I would crawl in bed and hold him until he fell asleep; he was fearful when the room became dark. After he faded to sleep, I would slide away. My dad became a child when he was dying.

I was closer to my mom and I became her caregiver. When she lay dying in the hospital, I crawled into her hospital bed and held her too. After my mom's death, I ask her to look after my dad and my childhood dog. I also ask her to watch over me...I think she continues to love me.

After the death of my mom, I heard her cry in the house on two separate occasions. I have my theories, but I am not sure why she cried.

I like these two TED talks about NDE’s and passing on. They’re speaking from experiences and what they witnessed so it’s without a bias that someone who has studied different scriptures may have that could blur the lines. They’re good sterile accounts.

Thank you for your kindness, Lynne. When I would put my dad to bed, I would crawl in bed and hold him until he fell asleep; he was fearful when the room became dark. After he faded to sleep, I would slide away. My dad became a child when he was dying.

I was closer to my mom and I became her caregiver. When she lay dying in the hospital, I crawled into her hospital bed and held her too. After my mom's death, I ask her to look after my dad and my childhood dog. I also ask her to watch over me...I think she continues to love me.

After the death of my mom, I heard her cry in the house on two separate occasions. I have my theories, but I am not sure why she cried.
You were wonderful with your parents. Mine are in 79 and 81. They are doing well but if things go in the natural order, I will be supporting them also. Knowing you did all you could has to be a comfort. Keep us posted on any new happenings.