The “laying of the hands”?

Clint The Cuy

Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone here is familiar with this?

My mother told me about my great grandmother and how she was supposed to have some sort of ability called “the laying of the hands”. I had never heard of this, but apparently people would come to her to essentially heal them I guess.

When my mother was a child, she had a wart like lesion on her hand that would not respond to treatment and she was taken to my great grandmother and she touched her hand and the lesion resolved.

I was told that it is to be passed down to a person of the opposite sex in order to continue. Apparently my great grandmother intended to pass it to my grandfather before she passed, but she did not. This is the first time I have heard of this. When I hear the literal term “laying of the hands”, I imagine some hokey production in a church where phoney healings take place. But my family isn’t really like that. My mother said that my great grandmother always scared her and that she was very serious.

So what does “the laying of the hands” mean?

I am curious to know if anyone here is familiar with this?

My mother told me about my great grandmother and how she was supposed to have some sort of ability called “the laying of the hands”. I had never heard of this, but apparently people would come to her to essentially heal them I guess.

When my mother was a child, she had a wart like lesion on her hand that would not respond to treatment and she was taken to my great grandmother and she touched her hand and the lesion resolved.

I was told that it is to be passed down to a person of the opposite sex in order to continue. Apparently my great grandmother intended to pass it to my grandfather before she passed, but she did not. This is the first time I have heard of this. When I hear the literal term “laying of the hands”, I imagine some hokey production in a church where phoney healings take place. But my family isn’t really like that. My mother said that my great grandmother always scared her and that she was very serious.

So what does “the laying of the hands” mean?
something done at churches that are of the doctrine Pentecostal, assembly of God and full Gospel. It is a religious practice done when praying for a person, it can go one for hours depending on the reason the people are praying for the one in need. These religions strongly believe in healing through prayer.

I think there is such a gift. But I was once in a charismatic cult that did this, and..... some people are full of crap. So I know where you’re coming from. You know those preachers that put their hands on your forehead and half the congregation falls down? You get the picture. One time a preacher did that and I wasn’t falling so he whispered to me “just fall”. So I sat down on the floor instead. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

But there is power in touch. And prayer. I’m one of those people where if I touch you I can find a whole lot about you just from that. I don’t have the gift of laying of hands though, where healing has happened, but close I guess.

While I don’t recall reading about this particular gift in the bible, it’s not to say it doesn’t happen. I think your great grandmother might have been one of the real laying-of-hands healers.

I believe I’ve met a couple real healers as well. They can just be hard to find in the current religious climate.

Reactions: 7Critter
This is the first I’ve heard of the term. However I myself have witnessed people being healed after being touched by someone reciting some prayer for them. However in this there was no such restriction on whom it can be passed down from and to whom. It is something that anyone can learn and do for anyone.

Reactions: Charleh
This is the first I’ve heard of the term. However I myself have witnessed people being healed after being touched by someone reciting some prayer for them. However in this there was no such restriction on whom it can be passed down from and to whom. It is something that anyone can learn and do for anyone.
I think it’s more about faith than it is application. I prefer to “pray in the closet” so to speak.

Reactions: Soul Edge
I think it’s more about faith than it is application. I prefer to “pray in the closet” so to speak.

Actually I’ve seen it work for those of different faiths as well. The term prayer loosely covers a number of different acts that I’m referring to.

It’s also known as reiki. I’m a first degree reiki healer. I was initiated last year.

I’ve been healed by reiki a couple of times in the past. I went in as a sceptic to the healer with unbearable back pain that had persisted for over 6 months. I walked out of his office & drove in a car without pain. Sitting & vibration of the car was the worst. I had no more pain until many years later I reinjured my back again

I think it’s called different things in diff faiths. I think we all can lay hands on people and pray for healing. There are certain people tho that are gifted with the power of healing. In my opinion it is God working through the person. Just like with other gifts all may have some ability but some are masters.

I think it’s called different things in diff faiths. I think we all can lay hands on people and pray for healing. There are certain people tho that are gifted with the power of healing. In my opinion it is God working through the person. Just like with other gifts all may have some ability but some are masters.
Lovely and very accurate answer, Lynne. Thank you.

While still in th medical field, I was trained in something called "Healing Touch". Consider that Reiki for beginners. We were authorized to use it with patients who agreed to it. I worked at a hospital that combined some alternate medicine with convenional medicine.

Reactions: Lynne