That side dish...

I have never had savoury rice in lettuce leaves. How is that prepared?
It's just a dried packet of seasoned rice that you add water to, boil and i serve it in iceberg lettuce cups. Not much prep but it tastes good.

Reactions: Selectric
Cooked on Barbie?! Is that legal?? ;0)
Lol, yeah not melted plastic but my son in law is a scaffolder, rough as guts and he starts his wood BBQ's with petrol. I always reckon he would cook on a burning car tyre, lol.

Potatoes in foil, cooked in the coals then put sour cream and chives on. Savoury rice in lettuce leaves. Also duck eggs cooked on the Barbie.
I have to ask is there a trick to cooking eggs on a BBQ? Are they steamed in the shell?

I am late to the picnic and most used my ideas as well. I would add watermelon. I see we have beans on here so I will just add a quick tip to make a tasty adjustment to plain old baked beans. We call them cowboy beans. There are many homemade versions, but I just dump a can of Hormel chili (the one with meat) into a can of Bushes baked beans and add one or two tablespoons of brown sugar and heat tog. It is very good and a nice change up. The sugar can always be left out, but I like mine a little sweet.