That one TV show...

Biddle ip de bip de bep beer boop, de de-dil-ip-dip dip ah eh! That was the music wasn't it? There was an orchestra with a frog and a policeman? Of course I remember Bod! It was a classic! (Though I'm not 100% sure about the music. I was very young too!) And it had a green background, Bod was bald with a triangle shaped body and there was Farmer Giles. I think. I was really really little!
Love your rendition of the theme tune there, Benway - I recognised it straight away! And yes, the frog orchestra! They were definitely all smoking something in those days...The Magic Roundabout being a prime example! :D

Ok, this one came back to me. Who remembers Clutch Cargo? It was weird animation, each scene was a single, unmoving frame with a real human mouth superimposed on the characters hand-drawn faces, speaking the lines. The effect was creepy to me as a kid and I couldn't stick with it.

Ok, this one came back to me. Who remembers Clutch Cargo? It was weird animation, each scene was a single, unmoving frame with a real human mouth superimposed on the characters hand-drawn faces, speaking the lines. The effect was creepy to me as a kid and I couldn't stick with it.
OH MY GOD I remember that. You’re right, it was creepy. How they got that scary mouth on the cartoon character is a freak all of its own!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoneWestUtah
OH MY GOD I remember that. You’re right, it was creepy. How they got that scary mouth on the cartoon character is a freak all of its own!
You guys are digging down on this topic! lol Clutch had 52 episodes.
Here's how they did the mouth thing:
The show was the first to use the "Syncro-Vox" optical printing system because of budgetary limitations and the pressure to create animation within a tight time frame.[6] Syncro-Vox was invented by Edwin Gillette, television cameraman and partner in Cambria Studios, as a means of superimposing real human mouths on the faces of animals for the popular "talking animal" commercials of the 1950s. Clutch Cargo employed the Syncro-Vox technique by superimposing live-action human lips over limited-motion animation or even motionless animation cels.

To further cut costs, Gillette and special-effects man Scotty Tomany supplemented Syncro-Vox with other tricks to save time and money. Haas explained, "We are not making animated cartoons. We are photographing 'motorized movement' and—the biggest trick of all—combining it with live action...Footage that Disney does for $250,000 we do for $18,000."[4] Gillette and Tomany simulated action in the real-time movement either with the camera or within the cel itself. Other live-action shots were superimposed as a means of adding a certain degree of realism and to keep production costs down; for example, footage of real smoke was used for explosions.[7] Traditional animation was also employed in the series on occasion.

The musical soundtrack to Clutch Cargo was also limited. Jazz musician Paul Horn provided a score using bongos, a vibraphone, and a flute.

I hate cartoons and shows with animals with real human mouths, just not right imo, lol.

Reactions: Debi and Lynne