That One Place

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
1623268535236.png

Reactions: garnetsilver
Castleton in the Peak District National Park.

Breathtaking views, especially up on Mam Tor and driving up Winnats Pass, and cave systems to explore. Recommend the Speedwell Cavern - a journey underground by boat as it is a wet cave system, as well as visiting the Blue John Cavern.

For the braver, and if you are into caving and potholing as I was a few years back, then Giant's Hole and P8 are a must on an SRT rig or using rope and ladder.

Carlsbad Caverns. It is truly a spectacular place. The entire area is a rather amazing place where you can totally nerd out. The Guadalupe Mountains in that area are not mountains. What you are seeing is a fossil reef that grew in the middle of an ancient flat bottom inland sea. It is an amazing place when you begin to understand that you are looking at things that were formed and used to be the bottom of a huge sea that almost split North America in two. I sat for about an hour on an overlook along the highway overlooking the desert that was once a sea bottom and watched the dozens of dust devils do battle across the sands.

Anywhere in outback NSW here. It's flat as a pancake and at night the sky is a dome of stars around you, almost white with them, dead silence and in the morning curious emus come close to check you out.

i really cant narrow that down to one place so I'll, in a way, take Duke's and Oz's path and say see as much as you can while you can. i moved around a lot growing up. we moved at least 15 times before i was 18 years old, not just around the same city but from state to state for a year or so at a time. we ended up back in the city we called home but it kinda formed me in a way to always be moving around. ive been here (my current residence ) for 20 years now but have a longing to be out and moving around a lot, i miss it..... ive seen sun rises on the atlantic and sunsets in the mojave, spent time in the bayous of Louisiana and Mississippi as well as the forests and caves of the ozarks, been all up and down the east coast coastline and lived in the Shenandoah valley for a spell. been to the tourist areas of los angeles and got selfies at the rose bowl....lol.... but would much rather see the places off the beaten path, the little towns across the midwest and deep south. the coastal towns and rural areas most would consider "fly over" states.... seeing life that is "real", ppl that are "real",.... ive done the homeowner thing for a while now and am now looking for the time to leave it behind and go gypsy once again. what is actually funny though is that my wife is the same way and we would have been gone long ago if not for ME wanting to wait a spell.

Last edited:
i really cant narrow that down to one place so I'll, in a way, take Duke's and Oz's path and say see as much as you can while you can. i moved around a lot growing up. we moved at least 15 times before i was 18 years old, not just around the same city but from state to state for a year or so at a time. we ended up back in the city we called home but it kinda formed me in a way to always be moving around. ive been here (my current residence ) for 20 years now but have a longing to be out and moving around a lot, i miss it..... ive seen sun rises on the atlantic and sunsets in the mojave, spent time in the bayous of Louisiana and Mississippi as well as the forests and caves of the ozarks, been all up and down the east coast coastline and lived in the Shenandoah valley for a spell. been to the tourist areas of los angeles and got selfies at the rose bowl....lol.... but would much rather see the places off the beaten path, the little towns across the midwest and deep south. the coastal towns and rural areas most would consider "fly over" states.... seeing life that is "real", ppl that are "real",.... ive done the homeowner thing for a while now and am now looking for the time to leave it behind and go gypsy once again. what is actually funny though is that my wife is the same way and we would have been gone long ago if not for me wanting to wait a spell.
Good on you Paul, I hope you and the mrs get out on the road again soon. Just make sure you keep in touch on here mate, we'd miss you too much. Freedom is the best.

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm