That one friend...

I actually remember a friend that would come over for coffee or tea, and offer to pay. I would be like: o_O She was cheap, so she figured I would be.

• Wow
Reactions: RoseRed
I had a boyfriend once who was so mean he wouldn't even put the air con on in the car because of the slight bit of extra fuel it would burn. He once took me out for MY birthday but I had to pay for it. He kept giving me "gifts" that were clearly either tatty old things he no longer wanted (an ex's old straw hat with a hole in it, for example - I kid you not), or that he'd paid pennies for in a charity store and that bore no relation to anything I might actually like... I could go on and on but I'm sure you can tell from those few examples that he put saving a few pennies far above keeping me as his girlfriend!

Last edited:
I had a boyfriend once who was so mean he wouldn't even put the air con on in the car because of the slight bit of extra fuel it would burn. He once took me out for MY birthday but I had to pay for it. He kept giving me "gifts" that were clearly either tatty old things he no longer wanted (an ex's old straw hat with a hole in it, for example - I kid you not), or that he'd paid pennies for in a charity store and that bore no relation to anything I might actually like... I could go on and on but I'm sure you can tell from those few examples that he put saving a few pennies far above keeping me as his girlfriend!
I'm glad that you wrote HAD a boyfriend. He didn't sound like a keeper!

I don't believe I have any but I've done that myself and it only took one time doing it. I made the mistake of buying a Sony Ericsson flip phone from Amazon when I was in my 20's for a penny. No lie. But this was by far, the worst excuse for a cell phone I've ever seen. It fell apart after a short period of time and was replaced by a LG flip phone which happened to be one of the best I've ever had. It was a learning experience but at the time, I didn't give it a second thought, I was having some trouble getting paid with my previous employers and it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Reactions: garnetsilver