That one coworker.....

We were repainting a sign outside the Boys & Girls Club in downtown Gary, Indiana. Busy street, busy sidewalk, and we rolled 3 stages of scaffolding into place.
I should have pulled a permit to work on the sidewalk. That is the law, but costs $100, and also opens yourself up to code enforcement people extorting money from tradesmen. We were only working a few hours, so I didn't.
Told the guy working with me that if we get rolled up on, tell them that you are the art teacher at the club. Should be OK.
Sure 'nuff, the code guy pulls up asking questions about a permit.
Painter : "I'm just the new art teacher sprucing up the sign"
Code Man: "And who's this ?." Pointing at me wearing my painter whites.
Painter: "Oh, he's on work release."

Good times.
Wow now that was fast thinking and a great response. I’m assuming he let you off ?

Reactions: Benway and Donna K.
Malcomb was an African American painter, good guy, good painter.
This was pre-internet.
One day I was assigning the jobs, and he chimed up that as the only black guy he would take the job in the rough part of town. He said there was a iffy shooting in Cleveland the night before, people get mad - word travels -and it's not safe for me, whitey, and my mariachi band of painters.
Cool, Ok.
Well, Malcomb had a 4 day residential repaint, going on 6 days.
My antenna went up, the homeowner was a very attractive woman, and the painter was a good looking guy.
I didn't even ask. Good for him.
The only thing I said when Malcolm turned in his timesheet, "Do you wanna revise this?"

Stuff like this never happens to me, except once, and she was a mobsters daughter, so there was lots of stress.

Malcomb was an African American painter, good guy, good painter.
This was pre-internet.
One day I was assigning the jobs, and he chimed up that as the only black guy he would take the job in the rough part of town. He said there was a iffy shooting in Cleveland the night before, people get mad - word travels -and it's not safe for me, whitey, and my mariachi band of painters.
Cool, Ok.
Well, Malcomb had a 4 day residential repaint, going on 6 days.
My antenna went up, the homeowner was a very attractive woman, and the painter was a good looking guy.
I didn't even ask. Good for him.
The only thing I said when Malcolm turned in his timesheet, "Do you wanna revise this?"

Stuff like this never happens to me, except once, and she was a mobsters daughter, so there was lots of stress.

Hmm...I see another Owl's Nest question here, although both the question and responses will have to be delicately worded.

Remindes me of another painter. Ron liked heroin. Probably not his total fault. The Drs. cut him off of painkillers way too early, because they......... that rant......
One day I have eight men on a residential exterior repaint. Things start out well, until Ron retreats to the garage with dope sick. If you ever had to sit with someone like that it is a mess.
My day was cleaning vomit, checking pulse, and feeding him sports drinks. He pleaded with me not to go to the hospital. I agreed for two reasons. He's been in similar situations, and it was not hospital worthy, and it would destroy him financially.
Someone stopped at the jobsite late in the day. A stranger. Ron made a nice recovery soon after.

Remember when the "all self service" service stations first opened and the employee set in the tiny little box behind glass and or bars and NEVER came out for any reason??? I was hired to manage the 1st such station that opened in OKC - Open 24/7 - BARS on window and door for that matter - Lot''s of bars.

My 'job' was to arrive at 7:00, check the drawer of the night shift, monitor the pumps, change gas prices on sign if necessary, check inventory for day shift (count cig cartons and beer and eye the employees with suspicion), refill drawers for day shift. Now. That last item... THAT means - I have the ONLY key to the safe. Cashiers did not hold more than $100 dollars in their drawer - all cash above that went into a slot in the safe. To pull cash out they had to call me. It was a pretty lucrative business. Low gas prices, open 24/7, beer/cig, check, on 39th street expressway where hood met not, and clubs, bars, and other, at every exit.

At 3:00 p.m. I would go back, do day shift drawers - acct'ng stuff... and take ALL the money from both shifts, out of safe with receipts, into cute little canvas bag, out the door, to my car, drive to bank, deposit in bank. That bag generally held a couple of thousand a day - and once, $3700 +. I was paid 'salary' - and made EXACTLY $40.00 less a month then my bills and daycare - hence the second job. Avg about $5.20 an hour, on call 24/7, and all risk my risk. I'm getting there...

I was 27, recently divorced, two kids under 4, no child support, and broke broke broke. One evening as I was unloading kids, groceries, back packs, and stuff stuff from my car an acquaintance or neighbor or someone 'vague' walked over and started a conversation (no offer of help) about "oh poor you, so busy, so tired I bet" translated "white trash failure" - "hey~ so and so is hiring and the pay is really good etc..." and they were and it was ... parts department invoicing, nice building, 8 hours, right down the road... I applied and got that job. I did not give two weeks notice... I did not give 48 hrs notice - I gave the keys and the books to the district manager when he pulled up in his silver stingray at 5:00 p.m., and walked. He was handsy with a comb over and knew I NEEDED the job - end of obligation.

2 weeks later... I get a call from my super passive aggressive older sister - She say's "I got a call from 'Bud' (former boss). He's going to have you arrested. I KNEW you couldn't blah blah blah" - translated "irresponsible hippie loser little sister" What for? Quitting? "No. Theft Donnnna!" What the c**p are you talking about Kathy - spit it out. "Bud says the day you quit you stole a carton of cig and $37. Figures." Was that BEFORE or AFTER I deposited the TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS IN THE BANK -- YOU IDIOT?

Him. For thinking I would settle for $37.00 and a carton of cig. IF.

Me too.
Donna, I started a lawn care service. Last October I dislocated my shoulder and had serious doubts about putting paint on the wall. Holy smokes ! Easy $, and don't go home crippled up.
So that's all the news I know. Oh, the (beloved) Whiite Sox are good and beating the snot out of the (hated) Cubs.
Still slipping your name in my prayers. 3pm Chaplet of Divine Mercy on the radio. If you are looking for something to do, check out Saint Faustina.
As Art Bell would say, "Wanna take a ride?"