That Megastructure Debate

It will be interesting tonight to see if Art still believes in the megastructure by Alien theory after Seths/SETI's announcement.
I wasn't buying the leap to aliens just because we discovered something we didn't understand. However even if it is an alien structure, that doesn't mean they moved out, or died out millions or billions of years ago

Reactions: Debi
Before they decided that there are no signs of an alien structure there they should have looked at a more broader radio spectrum than 1 to 10 Ghz. What about higher frequencies within the microwave spectrum?

Before they decided that there are no signs of an alien structure there they should have looked at a more broader radio spectrum than 1 to 10 Ghz. What about higher frequencies within the microwave spectrum?
Yeah, see, that's my thought on all this. Why are we defining it by OUR measurments as humans and calling it a done deal?

Reactions: Ecto
Yeah, see, that's my thought on all this. Why are we defining it by OUR measurments as humans and calling it a done deal?
Exactly. How do we know that they are (or had) even used our means of wireless communication such as radios.

Radio astronomy already looks somewhere around 30 GHz in the radio spectrum. I have read that radio astronomy reaches up to 300 GHz but do not have any corroborating evidence handy to support this.

The inverse square law, however, would make it problematic for communications. Put simply, the power of an emitted decreases with the square of the distance. For example, a signal of power n at a distance of 2 kilometers would have a power of 1/(2^2) == 1/4, or one quarter its original power. Amazing amounts of power would be required. This would, incidentally, run counter to the power requirements of Kardashev-I and -II civilizations, which would have better things to do with exawatts of energy than blast RF into space. Otherwise, why go to the trouble of strip mining whole planets just to build Dyson swarms?

Radio astronomy covers a much more broad swath of the EM spectrum than is commonly assumed. Also, the laws of physics as they are understood by humans right now have enough evidence gathered through observation from great distances (astronomy's evidence shores things up pretty well, as does radio astronomy).

Might there be something else? Good question; I have no answers.