Tell me....

Using a large mayonnaise jar, two tubes of Daisy "Golden Bullseye" BBs (1000 total?), and a M-80 firecracker, we "built" a crude (and extremely dangerous) underwater bomb. Poured the BBs in the jar, light the M-80, dropped it in the jar, screwed on the lid, and threw it in a small farm pond. It went off looking like a depth charge in an old WWII movie, spraying water and BBs in all directions. Fortunately none of us got hurt, but we did do in a number of fish, including a massive carp.
Okay Duke when I get back to a larger device I’m going to share a similar frightful story. Remind me if I forget. Bar hoping at the moment.

Reactions: Benway and Debi
Using a large mayonnaise jar, two tubes of Daisy "Golden Bullseye" BBs (1000 total?), and a M-80 firecracker, we "built" a crude (and extremely dangerous) underwater bomb. Poured the BBs in the jar, light the M-80, dropped it in the jar, screwed on the lid, and threw it in a small farm pond. It went off looking like a depth charge in an old WWII movie, spraying water and BBs in all directions. Fortunately none of us got hurt, but we did do in a number of fish, including a massive carp.

Okay, I’ll be kind of brief Duke.

When I was in my early high school years, I lived in Okinawa, Japan. I was a teaching assistant to the high school senior biology teacher who was also the adult leader for the high school scuba diving club. Though I wasn’t certified, I still went on his club outings with him in order to provide support to him and the club members and I’d still snorkel while the other students would dive.

So on one outing we boated out to a small island about a mile long. All of the Okinawa islands are made of coral. So the beaches aren’t covered with sand. They are covered with crushed coral and in many places just huge jagged blades of coral.

Three of the youngest students brought fireworks with them on this trip. At one point I was down the beach about 500’ feet with another student snorkeling and we’d just come out of the water when the island was rocked by what felt like a short earthquake. And, I saw an arm of flame shoot up about 50’ from behind a coral rock formatation and heard some screams. So I threw my mask and flippers to the ground and started running across the coral beach towards where the flames originated. When I reached the spot, I found three 14 year old kids flattened against the side of a hill and a totally obliterated sterno can. One of the three had dropped a firecracker into the sterno and the entire things blew up all at once.

Our teacher AND me admonished the three and told them to sit tight because we’d be leaving soon. I ran back down the beach to retrieve my mask and fins and started back. Not a few seconds later I heard another explosion and then some more screams. So I ran back up the beach to the same coral rock formation where I’d left the terrorists just a few minutes ago. One of those fools had slipped a firecracker into the neck of an empty wine bottle. And before the three of them could escape, the bottle was blown apart sending glass shards into the legs of the one kid who was closest.

I had to provide first aid to this fool picking glass out of his wounds and applying pressure on the long boat ride home. I’m certain that the salt water spray didn’t feel good on those open wounds.

Left me with a really healthy appreciation for things that go boom.

Okay, I’ll be kind of brief Duke.

When I was in my early high school years, I lived in Okinawa, Japan. I was a teaching assistant to the high school senior biology teacher who was also the adult leader for the high school scuba diving club. Though I wasn’t certified, I still went on his club outings with him in order to provide support to him and the club members and I’d still snorkel while the other students would dive.

So on one outing we boated out to a small island about a mile long. All of the Okinawa islands are made of coral. So the beaches aren’t covered with sand. They are covered with crushed coral and in many places just huge jagged blades of coral.

Three of the youngest students brought fireworks with them on this trip. At one point I was down the beach about 500’ feet with another student snorkeling and we’d just come out of the water when the island was rocked by what felt like a short earthquake. And, I saw an arm of flame shoot up about 50’ from behind a coral rock formatation and heard some screams. So I threw my mask and flippers to the ground and started running across the coral beach towards where the flames originated. When I reached the spot, I found three 14 year old kids flattened against the side of a hill and a totally obliterated sterno can. One of the three had dropped a firecracker into the sterno and the entire things blew up all at once.

Our teacher AND me admonished the three and told them to sit tight because we’d be leaving soon. I ran back down the beach to retrieve my mask and fins and started back. Not a few seconds later I heard another explosion and then some more screams. So I ran back up the beach to the same coral rock formation where I’d left the terrorists just a few minutes ago. One of those fools had slipped a firecracker into the neck of an empty wine bottle. And before the three of them could escape, the bottle was blown apart sending glass shards into the legs of the one kid who was closest.

I had to provide first aid to this fool picking glass out of his wounds and applying pressure on the long boat ride home. I’m certain that the salt water spray didn’t feel good on those open wounds.

Left me with a really healthy appreciation for things that go boom.

I guess stupidity at that age knows no international boundaries. We were all fortunate we did not get seriously injured.

Btw, I've been to Okinawa, was there on a lengthy TDY to Kadena AB. Were you there back in the days of the SR-71?

I guess stupidity at that age knows no international boundaries. We were all fortunate we did not get seriously injured.

Btw, I've been to Okinawa, was there on a lengthy TDY to Kadena AB. Were you there back in the days of the SR-71?

Absolutely, the Habu (SR-71) flew 24/7 when I lived there. My Dad was civil service so we lived off base. We lived several miles from the back entrance to Kadena AFB in the town of Awasi. I attended the only Dept. of Defence high school on the island - Kubasaki. Later I worked for the Marine Corp and the USO there too.

Reactions: Paintman and Duke
nope. I told my parents everything,...to their dismay...of course some descriptions came out years later....jadmom remembers more about my life than I do

I was the crazy one growing up, whether it was among my high school friends or my cousins. I was always the one that was getting into trouble. I grew up in San Diego, so I have tons stories about skipping school and going to the beach. I typically hung out with the surfers and the skaters so I spent a large part of my teens either hanging out at the beach, or breaking into peoples backyards so that the guys could skate in the pools. Anyone from southern California knows in the summer if there is a bad enough drought a large majority of people with pools in their backyards drain them and we would scope them out and break in. And those are my tame stories, even the ones where we got caught. I have a lot of crazy stories, and I don't mind sharing any of them. If I get asked I usually will tell.
There was this one time where me and a group of 4 of us snuck out raided the liqueur cabinet and stole someones parents car and drove from La Jolla to Chula Vista, which is like a 20-30 minute drive. Mind you we were all 14, 15 years old and NO ONE had a drivers license or permit. All to go to Procter Valley Road. Which is this long stretch of road in the middle of no where out in Chula Vista. It's know as a "haunted road" everyone has their own Procter Valley Road stories. Ranging from ghost cars to seeing a lady in white covered in blood. Well we were heading out there at 1 in the morning because that was my genius idea. Once we got there we decided to not drive down the road but park and walk it. So we started down the road and we were all creeped out. Whether or not it's really haunted is debatable, but when you're that young, along in the middle of no where with no lights other than a couple of flashlights it's creepy. Everything was all fine, mostly just us playing pranks and scaring each other. But we got about 2 maybe three miles in and we noticed a car parked on the side of the road and then probably 8 or 9 miles out in the greenery we could see two small lights that looked like flashlights moving around. We were a little weirded out but just kept going until we noticed that the flashlights were following along side us. At that point we all freaked out, the moment we turned out flashlights towards them whoever it was started charging at us and we booked it. We finally reached the car and as we were driving away we looked back and standing at the turn in to the road were these two men who were both hold big as rifles. After that we were all convinced that they were out there hiding a dead body and we might have been next. I actually went down Proctor Valley Road a few times after, but nothing as terrifying as this ever happened again. It did make the captain of the football team cry once which was an amazing experience.
There was also the time that I "ran away" with two of my cousins to our family cabin out in Mount Laguna, and there was a guy squatting in it. Who actually attacked my cousin when we walked in on him in the kitchen.
Then there is my personal favorite. So in downtown San DIego there is the Gaslamp Quarter where there are tons of different bars, and my older cousin decided to take me to celebrate that I was going into high school in a week. I have always looked much older than my age, so when I was 14 I could very easily pass as 18, and just barely pass as 21 if I wore the right outfit and a LOT of makeup. So we were drinking and having fun. I noticed this really hot guy who was looking at me so I decided I was going to go and hit on him. Fast forward to later that night when I was making out with him. My cousin realized what I was doing and took me home, not before I got this guys number. Now fast forward a week when I enter my freshman year English class and I see a very familiar face. Turns out I made out with my freshman year English teacher. Quite awkward.
I was a wild child and it got worse in my teens. My mom knew I got into trouble but she had no idea how much trouble I really got into.

I was the crazy one growing up, whether it was among my high school friends or my cousins. I was always the one that was getting into trouble. I grew up in San Diego, so I have tons stories about skipping school and going to the beach. I typically hung out with the surfers and the skaters so I spent a large part of my teens either hanging out at the beach, or breaking into peoples backyards so that the guys could skate in the pools. Anyone from southern California knows in the summer if there is a bad enough drought a large majority of people with pools in their backyards drain them and we would scope them out and break in. And those are my tame stories, even the ones where we got caught. I have a lot of crazy stories, and I don't mind sharing any of them. If I get asked I usually will tell.
There was this one time where me and a group of 4 of us snuck out raided the liqueur cabinet and stole someones parents car and drove from La Jolla to Chula Vista, which is like a 20-30 minute drive. Mind you we were all 14, 15 years old and NO ONE had a drivers license or permit. All to go to Procter Valley Road. Which is this long stretch of road in the middle of no where out in Chula Vista. It's know as a "haunted road" everyone has their own Procter Valley Road stories. Ranging from ghost cars to seeing a lady in white covered in blood. Well we were heading out there at 1 in the morning because that was my genius idea. Once we got there we decided to not drive down the road but park and walk it. So we started down the road and we were all creeped out. Whether or not it's really haunted is debatable, but when you're that young, along in the middle of no where with no lights other than a couple of flashlights it's creepy. Everything was all fine, mostly just us playing pranks and scaring each other. But we got about 2 maybe three miles in and we noticed a car parked on the side of the road and then probably 8 or 9 miles out in the greenery we could see two small lights that looked like flashlights moving around. We were a little weirded out but just kept going until we noticed that the flashlights were following along side us. At that point we all freaked out, the moment we turned out flashlights towards them whoever it was started charging at us and we booked it. We finally reached the car and as we were driving away we looked back and standing at the turn in to the road were these two men who were both hold big as rifles. After that we were all convinced that they were out there hiding a dead body and we might have been next. I actually went down Proctor Valley Road a few times after, but nothing as terrifying as this ever happened again. It did make the captain of the football team cry once which was an amazing experience.
There was also the time that I "ran away" with two of my cousins to our family cabin out in Mount Laguna, and there was a guy squatting in it. Who actually attacked my cousin when we walked in on him in the kitchen.
Then there is my personal favorite. So in downtown San DIego there is the Gaslamp Quarter where there are tons of different bars, and my older cousin decided to take me to celebrate that I was going into high school in a week. I have always looked much older than my age, so when I was 14 I could very easily pass as 18, and just barely pass as 21 if I wore the right outfit and a LOT of makeup. So we were drinking and having fun. I noticed this really hot guy who was looking at me so I decided I was going to go and hit on him. Fast forward to later that night when I was making out with him. My cousin realized what I was doing and took me home, not before I got this guys number. Now fast forward a week when I enter my freshman year English class and I see a very familiar face. Turns out I made out with my freshman year English teacher. Quite awkward.
I was a wild child and it got worse in my teens. My mom knew I got into trouble but she had no idea how much trouble I really got into.

Howdy neighbor, I’m from San Diego too WK. My spine always tingled driving Proctor Valley Road hoping to see the monster.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhitneyKristina