Take me out to the Ballgame....

Well, I haven't really followed organized, professional sports of any kind in about 40 years, but I will admit that a baseball game is one of the best ways possible to spend a summer evening. Especially if it's a minor-league team and smaller park.
Having attended a large number of minor league baseball games all over the country, I couldn't agree more. Some of the promotions minor league teams come up with are off the wall.

Bill Veek's son owns the Saint Paul Saints. He's a chip off the old block.
Bill owned the Cleveland Indians and later the White Sox.
Sent a midget up to bat. Disco Demolition night. Martians land in center field. (Not real ones.) Had a shower in the outfield bleachers. Build a picnic area just outside of the right field warning track. You could watch the game from the players level. Cool.

He always seemed on the brink of financial disaster. Rumor has it to raise money to buy the Indians he sold 120% stock.

I think actor/comedian Bill Murray had a stake in the Salt Lake minor league team at one point. I saw him at a game a few years ago.

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
I hope that I can throw luke that at 75 years of age. I know that I am not a flexible as Bill Lee. I like how he carried his beer out to the field.
Do you remember when, during the MLB strike in the mid 90s, the Reds had 50 year old relief pitcher Pedro Borbon on their replacement team?

Duke, Christie , that strike was a terrible thing for White Sox fans. We had a window to go to the World Series and it closed quick.

Savannah Bananas !

And the Spaceman strikes out the batter with an eephus pitch !

When I was in college, a group of us went to a Reds' "businessman's special" day game. We got great seats about ten rows off the field behind third base. Directly in front of us was a family of four....mother and father, their young (8-10 years old) son, and an elderly woman who I took to be the mother of one of the parents. She was probably in her mid/late 70s, very small and wizened.

Midway through the game, someone fouled a screaming line drive right at us. The ball wound up drilling grandma squarely in the chest. The grandson immediately drove under the seats to retrieve the ball, popping up with the ball in hand yelling, "I got it, I got it." Meanwhile, grandma was clearly in pain and having trouble breathing.

When last seen, paramedics were taking her out of the stands on a gurney, but the youngster was right behind them holding up the ball for everyone to see.