Take me out to the Ballgame....

Here is some cool White Sox outfielder Minnie Minoso stuff . It's a shame he isn't in the Hall of Fame. Yet.
Minnie Minoso hit a single at age 50 in 1976
corbis-u1207855.jpg he was the first black Cuban in the league. As you can tell from The Jerk sitting on his right.
1981+Fleer+Minnie+Minoso.jpg he was the White Sox bench coach in the late 70s early 80s. Bill Veeck activated him.
downloadfile-1.jpg I have this picture of Minnie sliding safe. Autographed. I want to figure out who the catcher is.
Just someone you should know. His funeral looked like a state funeral.

Reactions: 7Critter
I watched Feild of dreams again it's been a while very touching movie I always say when it's on " it's the best movie ever made" That's something we never get back going to the ball game as a kid with our dad for the first time, I remember how magical it was I felt like I was witnessing history. Seems like at that time nothing else in the world mattered my old man forgot about heaven and hell and the fact that he was a preacher, I forgot about anything i had going on my mom didn't have any worries my brother was like me just in awe of it all. I remember the year Alan Trammel and Lou Witaker were in their rookie year Dave Rosma was pitching and the speed of the ball flying from the pitcher's hand to the catcher was amazing and the sound of the bat connecting as Willy Horton hit a home run. That was magic to me I guess that's why now when i have had a hard day at work and I get to listen to the last of the ninth inning it takes me back to that time and nothing can come between that, doesn't matter who is winner it is a moment in time that it's okay to just forget about all the hustle and bustle of the world It's sad to see the colder weather creep into football season it;s a sign that time has passed on. Fall it was fall the change in the season when I lost my family and it will forever be a reminder of the end of something great.

I don't remember THE first Cincinnati Reds game that I went to, but I have a collection of memories of going to many Cincinnati games with my Dad. You are right, Armand, I will always have those memories and these make me smile. Some of these memories were brought back by seeing the excitement of my three year old grandson when we took him to his first major league game. When something is new and larger than life it is terribly exciting.

I am happy for all who had an opportunity to share a ball game with their Dad/Mom/family. It's special and lasting.

Reactions: Armand and Paintman
I remember going to Comiskey Park as a young boy. When I first saw it that field it took my breath away. I later learned why. Comiskey Park was the biggest Saloon in America. Pop and my Dad could get scotch in the seats. No way you were going to find hard liquor at Wrigley. And this proves again that Bill Veeck is a fans best friend.

I remember going to Comiskey Park as a young boy. When I first saw it that field it took my breath away. I later learned why. Comiskey Park was the biggest Saloon in America. Pop and my Dad could get scotch in the seats. No way you were going to find hard liquor at Wrigley. And this proves again that Bill Veeck is a fans best friend.
I still think about the story you told of the white Sox owner and how he would hang out in the bleachers and talk to the Fan's and I still remember the double header about destroying the disco albulms it was vs my team the tigers. Sparky Anderson made them cancle the second game because of all the debri from the ten thousand Disco albums that were destroyed not to mention the rock fans kicking the crap out of the protestors.. Those days are gone but that game will live on in the minds of tiger and Sox fans for years to come.

Reactions: Paintman
I don't remember THE first Cincinnati Reds game that I went to, but I have a collection of memories of going to many Cincinnati games with my Dad. You are right, Armand, I will always have those memories and these make me smile. Some of these memories were brought back by seeing the excitement of my three year old grandson when we took him to his first major league game. When something is new and larger than life it is terribly exciting.

I am happy for all who had an opportunity to share a ball game with their Dad/Mom/family. It's special and lasting.
It truly is an amazing event all kids should witness. In feild of dreams when they picked up moonlight grahm hitch hiking he talked about the Bush league back in the twenties and thirty's teams would find day jobs for players and they played nightly vs rival towns. When I was a kid playing b-ball everyday on a team like that would have been the life. I was in a rehab center a while back for three months each Saturday we would play softball it really was great theorpy it helped to remind me why it is important to stay healthy and fit. To push yourself to the limit to prove to yourself you control your sense of well being. The true reward is acheivment. Every kid that lived baseball as much as I did would have done anything to play in the bigs it was more about having your face on a bublegum card more than it was money.

So who is rooting for who in the playoffs?
I liked the Brewers and Dodgers for about 5 minutes as a kid, so that's enough to make me a National League fan this year. I liked the Dodgers with Steve Yeager ,Davey Lopes, Ron Cey, and Steve Garvey.
Robin Yount, Paul Moliter era Brewers team.
Did you notice that all four playoff teams have great bull pens?

Last edited:
I thought that I was rooting for the Dodgers, being a National league fan. Watching the game last night, I found myself rooting for the Red Sox. I think that my childhood dislike for a Cincinnati Reds rival still has me rooting against the LA Dodgers. The fact that the Red Sox and Dodgers were in the World Series shows that money does help to get there.

I thought it was a good World Series. Last night was a little anti-climactic. And it was pretty cool when Chris Sale came in to pitch the ninth.

Reactions: 7Critter