Take me out to the Ballgame....

I don't really care for baseball (Football is my love). But I do have a neat memory... I live in WI so our team is the Brewers (no love loss there lol). Anyways, let's go back 33 years. I was 12. 1982. Baseball was huge with all the kids in the apartment complex I grew up in- especially since a few Brewer families lived in the condo-townhouses kiddie corner to our complex. The only thing that separated us and them was a big field. Well, some of us (ages 10-15) decided to come up with our own team (our street was Barnard St.) so we called ourselves the Barnard Brewers. The kids along the street who didn't live in the complex called themselves something with a C (yah, I don't remember because they weren't my team haha). But we decided to have a big game one Saturday at the end of the summer. We worked all summer on it- made flyers, the guys all rallied together and mowed this huge field, made little benches, and us girls were cheerleaders and made Tshirts for the boys and us, the moms did hot dogs and drinks... Word got around and the big day came, and we have TONS of people in attendance- close to 100+! And guess who showed up in support? A bunch of the Brewers and their families! They signed autographs and were so cool! Rollie Fingers, Pete Vuckovich, Ned Yost, Cecil Cooper and Robin Yount came- all to support the kids, It was SUCH a big deal to us that they went out of their way to come- and not for a photo op or for money- just to encourage some little apartment rugrats. THAT was awesome :D
I read this again and it brought back memories of when I played ball. You kids, Heidi, probably reminded the major leaguers what baseball is all about: fun, sportsmanship, family, community. We played baseball not for fame and fortune, but because it was fun. Mom and Dad came to watch a great American tradition and to support their kids. There are many scenes from the movie "Field of Dreams" that get it just right. When kids play baseball, families will come. Here is but one scene from the movie:

Hey gang. I'm guessing many of the baseball fans here have heard about Sox DH, 1st baseman, Adam LaRoche has retired because he cant bring his kid into the locker room everyday. That's the narrative in the local papers, sports talk, and Mike Gallegers radio show. Also not entirely true.
1. LaRoche was over paid and under performed last year. .207/12HR/44rbi - His kid coulda hit that!:mad:
2. The White Sox shopped him this off season and agreed to eat a lot of his $13m salary. We had zero takers.
3. He has bad back problems this spring training.
4. The Sox have enough depth this year to bench him (shoulda benched him last year, to.)
5. Local scuttlebutt says several players privately expressed concern over the 14yr. olds daily presence.
6. LaRoche, obviously a fine Christian man, and a former All-Star was all washed up. I think IMHO he 'created' an excuse to retire.
7. LaRoche made $36m over his career. He can build his boy a play White Sox clubhouse at home.:)
My 2 cents.

Hey gang. I'm guessing many of the baseball fans here have heard about Sox DH, 1st baseman, Adam LaRoche has retired because he cant bring his kid into the locker room everyday. That's the narrative in the local papers, sports talk, and Mike Gallegers radio show. Also not entirely true.
1. LaRoche was over paid and under performed last year. .207/12HR/44rbi - His kid coulda hit that!:mad:
2. The White Sox shopped him this off season and agreed to eat a lot of his $13m salary. We had zero takers.
3. He has bad back problems this spring training.
4. The Sox have enough depth this year to bench him (shoulda benched him last year, to.)
5. Local scuttlebutt says several players privately expressed concern over the 14yr. olds daily presence.
6. LaRoche, obviously a fine Christian man, and a former All-Star was all washed up. I think IMHO he 'created' an excuse to retire.
7. LaRoche made $36m over his career. He can build his boy a play White Sox clubhouse at home.:)
My 2 cents.
Thanks for the update. I knew that publicly they were saying he quit because of his son. I knew that there had to be more to it. We enjoyed Adam as a National. Even then his skills were deteriorating his last two years. You're right a fine Christian man. I wish him well.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
District on Deck - A Washington Nationals Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More
Christie, here is a Nationals site put out by Sports Illustrated. I thought of you when poking around to White Sox site.:)
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi and 7Critter
As Catcher Gus Sinski in the scene above says " We don't stink today, today we are the best team in baseball. " As the season starts tomorrow, I hope that each of our teams continues to "not Stink" and has a GREAT start of the season.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
7Christie, I'm pumped. All the BB pundits have the Sox in first and last, but I've sworn off BB writers long ago. (Those dudes throw like girls) Cool movie clip.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
Hey Christie, I just found out that sliding shorts and cup technology took a major leap. Maybe these guys aughta work at NASA.

Reactions: 7Critter