Synchronicities...Beyond Time and Space

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Beyond Time and Space: Are Synchronicities Evidence that our Universe is Made of Information? - The Daily Grail

Synchronicities are weird. They’re even weirder when they go meta.

For example: after recently reading Diana Walsh Pasulka’s American Cosmic: UFOs, Religion, Technology (Daily Grail review to come), I thought it would be fun to write a short article on one of the fascinating topics covered in the book – synchronicities.

At the same time as I began putting this article together earlier this week, I also put out an unrelated call on Twitter for interesting podcasts that we could give more publicity to – and one of those was Erik Davis’s excellent Expanding Mind podcast. In looking for a feed of the podcast, I came across a recent chat he had with Diana Pasulka about her book. So obviously I listened in.

While I was listening to the podcast, Daily Grail writer Red Pill Junkie DM’ed me on Twitter to let me know he was working on an article about Tom DeLonge’s UFO research organization and how it was similar to an effort a couple of decades earlier by a tech entrepreneur named Joe Firmage (published yesterday here) – and, coincidentally, speculation as to whether Firmage had ties with…Diana Pasulka. I remembered Firmage, but hadn’t heard his name in more than a decade. So I was surprised when, on the podcast interview with Pasulka I was listening to, Erik Davis in passing suddenly brought up the name of…Joe Firmage.

Laughing, I DM’ed RPJ back to note the synchronicity. And, not two minutes later, Pasulka starts talking to Erik Davis about “so many synchronicities” happening in conjunction with her work and the UFO phenomenon!

Anyhow, I digress – but I thought it was a nice, meta way of pointing out how synchronicities can often seem more than ‘just a coincidence’, and can often have a powerful effect on us (see parapsychologist Dean Radin’s own crazy synchronicity tale for another example). Indeed, in American Cosmic, Pasulka notes Nietzsche’s opinion that these powerful ‘synch’ experiences are “the engines of religious belief”.

But are synchronicities powerful because they are more than just chance events? Orthodox science would say they are simply meaningless coincidences, but there are other ways of looking at reality that perhaps offer a model for how synchronicities could indeed be more than chance occasions.

Pasulka cites our good friend, UFO researcher and futurist Jacques Vallee, in explaining this alternative model, based on his own experience in computer and network architecture (along with his Bachelor Science in Mathematics and Master of Science in Astrophysics, Jacques also has a PhD in Computer Science and did early work on the ARPANET, the precursor to the internet), which asks whether the cosmos is at its core based on information, rather than time and space:

The theory of space and time is a cultural artifact made possible by the invention of graph paper. If we had invented the digital computer before graph paper, we might have a very different theory of information today… What modern computer scientists have realized is that ordering by space and time is the worst possible way to store data…

In the TEDx talk embedded below, Vallee offers the analogy of a library: in a small library, we just remember where certain books are in time and space, but in a larger library, we use a catalogue system built on the information associated with the books. And taking that analogy further, to the massive ‘library’ of information that Google catalogues, that information is stored and searched semantically on several levels via algorithms and code.

Jacques of course warns that he doesn’t mean the cosmos can simply be compared to a huge database: “I don’t mean to use analogues with current, crude technology. It’s something obviously much bigger, much more complex…but you get the idea.” But his analogy should be enough, he says, that we should “recognize dimensions as a cultural artifact – we create dimensions, because we have small ‘libraries’.”

The upshot of all is that, according to Vallee, if “we live in the associate universe of the software scientist rather than the Cartesian sequential universe of the space-time physicist, then miracles are no longer irrational events”. That, instead, “we may be traversing incidents by association”.

More of the story at site

Reactions: SierraRocks
Thank you for this link I sent it to my notes to enjoy! So motivating because it suggests to me that miracles or paranormal is the, is really the, extraordinary ordinary; and is, as a matter of fact, a matter of fact. Quoting choice phrases from the article’s words: “then miracles are no longer irrational events” ..” we may be transversing incidents by association “ referenced in a very limited section of the library we can understand

Reactions: Debi
Thank You for sharing.......I had to stop and rewind on many occasions to make sure I was understanding what he was saying.........he was able to put into words my perception of reality.........thanks again!

Reactions: Debi
You are both welcome. I found it to be an enlightening read.

Reactions: Aces