Symbol keeps coming to me

613Y88Y69VL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
This book can be had for $4.50 up to $20 w/ free shipping from used book sellers.
It's great for the new beginner and someone pretty advanced, lots of texts and lots of photos that will meet you where you are.
It helps if you are studying Carl Jung and archetypes, or Joseph Campbell and mythology. Signs and symbols are just shorthand.
Edited to add context to what the book is about.

Last edited:
View attachment 22241
This book can be had for $4.50 up to $20 w/ free shipping from used book sellers.
It's great for the new beginner and someone pretty advanced, lots of texts and lots of photos that will meet you where you are.
It helps if you are studying Carl Jung and archetypes, or Joseph Campbell and mythology. Signs and symbols are just shorthand.
Edited to add context to what the book is about.
Thanks for the book recommendation. It looks like it would be a fitting addition to my shelf. Both Jung and Campbell have been influential on me as well.

Reactions: Paintman
U.Thule , in my opinion the beauty of this book is the way it is laid out and how it gets right to the point. I've read it twice and that had to have been 15 years ago. As a reference book, used dozens of times, and can find what I'm looking for very quickly.
I think it can accomplish all of these things because it's not overly long - i.e. redundant ;).
There are also fascinating chapters on how company logos use Universal symbols, and how they change over time but still retain the same conscious and unconscious message.
The other is on family crests.
Hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Debi
U.Thule , in my opinion the beauty of this book is the way it is laid out and how it gets right to the point. I've read it twice and that had to have been 15 years ago. As a reference book, used dozens of times, and can find what I'm looking for very quickly.
I think it can accomplish all of these things because it's not overly long - i.e. redundant ;).
There are also fascinating chapters on how company logos use Universal symbols, and how they change over time but still retain the same conscious and unconscious message.
The other is on family crests.
Hope you enjoy it.
Paint you have lended a lot to this topic! I have never thought of a company logo as being a type of sigil. This could effect many aspects of the company, product and buyer. The ripples of this go in a lot of directions.

Reactions: Debi and Paintman
Here are a few examples. Imagine the logo for Mercedes Benz or Mitsubishi. It's called a tri-partite symbol and represents harmony and perfection.
The McDonalds 'M' is a stylized alchemy symbol for fire.
But new signs and symbols are created everyday, but very few catch on in to national consciousness. The Industrial Age brought about big companies that could get goods to the masses. So to set themselves apart they had to come up with symbols that promoted a whole brand. Sigmund Freud's nephew played a big part in how to manipulate public opinion with advertising, using Uncle Sigmunds insights.
It really is art influencing culture. Think of the car ads from the 1920s - the art-deco Jazz Age. It tapped into the unconscious with streamlined style, sexuality, and evoked an image of status, liberation, and lifestyle.
1950s ads were symbolic of the American dream. Or in the late 1960s with product placement. Steve McQueen drove a Mustang in Bullitt. Ford got a lot of mileage of that:D. It symbolized masculinity, rebellion and power.
Oh, buy the book. :)

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Note: I'm moving this thread into the Spirituality forum area.
It's morphed into a good topic for that section!

Reactions: Lynne