Swimming

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Are you a good swimmer?
How did you learn to swim?
Did you take lessons at the local "Y" or did you come by it naturally?
How about the "throw you in a pool" method? lol
Anybody out there a scuba diver?
Tell me about your water adventures!
428683395_966631008162275_1750842984048935776_n.jpg

Are you a good swimmer?
How did you learn to swim?
Did you take lessons at the local "Y" or did you come by it naturally?
How about the "throw you in a pool" method? lol
Anybody out there a scuba diver?
Tell me about your water adventures!
View attachment 55992
My older brother did exactly what the pic shows :p
I learned fast and became quite good ;)
I miss going swimming :/

grew up in the coastal states, swimming came early for me.... spent my entire youth on the water and in boats. love any body of water, and the beach when i was younger. almost always had a pool also...snorkled and dived the bahamas and the islands before. still kayak the barrier islands of georgia and the intercoastal waterway occasionally when the chance arises.

Oh boy! This might be a bad topic for me to participate.

- "Are you a good swimmer?"
Nope!

- "How did you learn to swim?"
Didn't. Unless you count thrashing around until I get close enough to the edge or shallow end of the pool so I can get out as "swimming".

- "Did you take lessons at the local "Y" or did you come by it naturally?"
My parents did enroll me in lessons at the public pool. It didn't work out well. The swim instructor was completely baffled by my inability to float. One of the first things he said was that humans are so buoyant that it was impossible for someone to sit or lay down at the bottom of the pool, they would simply rise to the surface and float. When he asked us to try it I wound up laying on the bottom of the pool for about 10-15 seconds before getting up. I eventually got to the point where if I completely stretched out like a starfish and tried my best to relax every muscle in my body and breathed shallow, then I could "float" just under the surface of the water. My toes and nose would be above the surface but the rest of me submerged.

I also had a drill sergeant try teaching me to swim but gave up saying I was a "Lead Duck"

- "How about the "throw you in a pool" method?"
My Dad tried this several times. At first I just thrashed about until I got to the edge or someone jumped in to save me. Eventually I just let myself sink, then would proceed to walk across the bottom of the pool. Every few steps I would "jump" enough to come up for air then go back down and keep walking.

Oh boy! This might be a bad topic for me to participate.

- "Are you a good swimmer?"
Nope!

- "How did you learn to swim?"
Didn't. Unless you count thrashing around until I get close enough to the edge or shallow end of the pool so I can get out as "swimming".

- "Did you take lessons at the local "Y" or did you come by it naturally?"
My parents did enroll me in lessons at the public pool. It didn't work out well. The swim instructor was completely baffled by my inability to float. One of the first things he said was that humans are so buoyant that it was impossible for someone to sit or lay down at the bottom of the pool, they would simply rise to the surface and float. When he asked us to try it I wound up laying on the bottom of the pool for about 10-15 seconds before getting up. I eventually got to the point where if I completely stretched out like a starfish and tried my best to relax every muscle in my body and breathed shallow, then I could "float" just under the surface of the water. My toes and nose would be above the surface but the rest of me submerged.

I also had a drill sergeant try teaching me to swim but gave up saying I was a "Lead Duck"

- "How about the "throw you in a pool" method?"
My Dad tried this several times. At first I just thrashed about until I got to the edge or someone jumped in to save me. Eventually I just let myself sink, then would proceed to walk across the bottom of the pool. Every few steps I would "jump" enough to come up for air then go back down and keep walking.
I swim like a fish...and I love the water.

My mom, however, we called Lead Butt. That woman could not, I repeat, NOT float. She sunk like a lead sinker. Despite this fact she loved to fish and in her later years after dad passed, she would go out in her boat alone. Despite us kids getting her the lightest and best life jacket, she would not actually wear it. She tied it on her ankle telling us it would serve as a marker for where she went under. :eek:

I used to spend every day at the local pool in school holidays then surfed a few times a week when older. I think i spent more time in the water than out, lol.

Reactions: Debi and Selectric
I used to spend every day at the local pool in school holidays then surfed a few times a week when older. I think i spent more time in the water than out, lol.
We never had a pool until later, but my aunts and uncles did. When very young i got spooked when i almost drowned, so didn't use a pool for a few years. Used to swim or rope swing in the deeper parts of the rivers around our area. There was a lake in the middle of our neighborhood, but we were not allowed to use it.

We never had a pool until later, but my aunts and uncles did. When very young i got spooked when i almost drowned, so didn't use a pool for a few years. Used to swim or rope swing in the deeper parts of the rivers around our area. There was a lake in the middle of our neighborhood, but we were not allowed to use it.
I nearly drowned at 12 at a dangerous beach. I remember going under for the third time when an older surfer pulled me onto his board. I just remember feeling totally calm when drowning.

• Wow
Reactions: Debi and Selectric