Surviving Childhood!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
MANY OF YOU GREW UP IN THE AGE OF MONKEY BARS, NO CAR SEATS, NO SEAT BELTS, RUSTY PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT, RIDING YOUR BIKES AS FAST YOU COULD WITHOUT A HELMET OR HAVING SKATES FALL OFF YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU HIT A BUMP IN THE SIDEWALK.

WHAT IS THE WORST INJURY YOU HAD AS A CHILD?

97475932_2990100851068565_8669044337654366208_n.png

Well, let's see. I was playing a game with my brothers, where we leaped over a low hedge, then leaped back. I didn't quite clear the hedge, being nine years old, and my leg came down on a rusty, iron spike, just below the knee. I had a hole in my leg about as big as a quarter. I shudder still at that memory, and thank God for tetanus shots!

Well, let's see. I was playing a game with my brothers, where we leaped over a low hedge, then leaped back. I didn't quite clear the hedge, being nine years old, and my leg came down on a rusty, iron spike, just below the knee. I had a hole in my leg about as big as a quarter. I shudder still at that memory, and thank God for tetanus shots!
Ouch!

I was 5 and fell off a swing...broke my right arm. To this day I cannot watch anything "swinging"...makes me totally nauseous. The other time was going under the handlebars of my bike and getting road rash so bad I was bleeding for two days. THAT was because I was an idiot and tried to do a "trick" on my bike. Did NOT work. lol

I was at a pebble beach and decided to dig a hole - the rocks got larger the deeper I went, and one about the size of a football fell off from about 2ft onto the bridge of my foot. I couldn't walk on it, but hobbled back to where my parents were - about 200 yards away up several flights of steps. Swelled up, took weeks before I could walk on it again. Was told "they cant mend bones in feet" and to stop whinging about it.
My brother made a compressed air airgun - and promptly shot me in the leg with it. We both thought it was funny at the time.

Playing around with fireworks (as you do) managed to put aluminium shrapnel in the back of my right hand and went deaf for about 2 days. Scary that as I thought it may be permanent.

We used to play on the the Grand Trunk Railroad line out of Chicago. Hung out with real hobos who set up a camp near our house.
No problems. :)

And pretty much all the time when I was having fun with my grandpa, Pop.
I was 13 and he was teaching me how to do Fast Draw out of a holster with a Colt 45 and hit the target.:cool:
The phone rings and I only heard half the conversation in between gunfire. Pop filled the rest.
Pop took the call from his phone in the garage.
It was his stockbroker from Chicago.
Is that gunfire in the background?
Yes.
Who is shooting?
My grandson.
How old is he?
You can't have a child throwing around handguns like that.
Pop, said I was learning, and getting better.;)
The stockbroker guy made a big stink, about guns and children and Fast Draw.
Pop fired the guy on the spot.

Yes, still have that leather :cool:.
I think the point is that I got out of that injury free.

And pretty much all the time when I was having fun with my grandpa, Pop.
I was 13 and he was teaching me how to do Fast Draw out of a holster with a Colt 45 and hit the target.:cool:
The phone rings and I only heard half the conversation in between gunfire. Pop filled the rest.
Pop took the call from his phone in the garage.
It was his stockbroker from Chicago.
Is that gunfire in the background?
Yes.
Who is shooting?
My grandson.
How old is he?
You can't have a child throwing around handguns like that.
Pop, said I was learning, and getting better.;)
The stockbroker guy made a big stink, about guns and children and Fast Draw.
Pop fired the guy on the spot.

Yes, still have that leather :cool:.
I think the point is that I got out of that injury free.
I love this one!

I survived it all with nothing other than skinned knees and the occasional bruise. We even drank out of the garden hose :eek:..

Reactions: garnetsilver