super snake news

Excerpt:

What started out as a straightforward genetic study of Florida’s invasive python population has turned up a surprising plot twist: a small number of crossbred Burmese and Indian pythons with the potential to become a kind of Everglades super snake.

For the study, published Sunday in the journal Ecology and Evolution, U.S. Geological Survey researchers examined the tail tissue of 400 snakes captured in South Florida, from the Big Cypress Swamp to the Everglades. While the vast majority appeared to be closely related Burmese pythons — imagine a family reunion packed with first and second cousins — 13 had genetic markers from Indian pythons, a subspecies that unlike the swamp-loving Burmese snake prefers high, dry ground.

Read more here: Super snake could emerge from the Florida Everglades, scientists warn

Florida always has crazy news, stories like these are why I'm glad I live in a high desert

Reactions: Charleh and Debi
Florida always has crazy news, stories like these are why I'm glad I live in a high desert
Having lived in FL for over 10 years in the past, I can tell you if any new creatures crawl out of there it WILL come out of the Everglades. That energy there is unbelievable. And people let all sorts of stuff lose down there.

So this situation is all from escaped or released pets? Horrible. I hope it doesn’t ruin the ecosystem there.

So this situation is all from escaped or released pets? Horrible. I hope it doesn’t ruin the ecosystem there.
The video of a big one is worth watching at the site. Huge snake trying to eat a small gator

Yeah. You always hear about “Florida Man”. I don’t know how he gets on the news but I guess he has a sidekick now. “Florida Snake”

Reactions: Lynne
A whole lotta crazy comes from Florida,ain't that the truth!

Humans have changed every ecosystem they live by.Australia is full of feral animals more highly evolved than the primitive local wildlife so is taking over. The snakes in Florida are there to stay and the local wildlife and people will have to live with whatever these exotics become in time.