Summer Camp #2 - Week of Panic

Northern_Emp

Spread Thin
Reaction score
2. 2007 - Week of Panic (Source: Myself, several friends, staff members, campers)

I only learned the timing of events long after the fact, but the incident with the "Lord of the Silk Worms" seems to be the beginning of the single most chaotic week I have experienced at this camp. At the time, I was a high school aged camper in a type of specialty devoted to service and cleaning - basically, we paid to go to camp and clean. It actually is a really fun time, however emotions seemed to be running high with everything that week (teenagers, right?).

The first day or two of that week seemed like nothing unusual, until a couple girls in our cohort started having panic attacks one evening. Nothing seemed to calm them down, so the counselors decided that all of us should go for a "prayer walk" in the cool night air. So off we went, 30 or so guys and girls marching into the night singing and praying and just sharing the time together. Remarkably, the girls having panic attacks calmed down very quickly. We walked on for about 20 minutes, before stopping for a break around a campfire. Here's where it gets weird.

At the campfire, we eventually stopped singing and just sat there in silence. Crickets were chirping in the distance, and soon frogs started chirping as well. One of the girls jumped at the sound of frogs, starting to panic again, to which I calmly assured it was just the frogs. A couple people interjected saying "No, those aren't frogs." Then out of nowhere, the 30 of us just started arguing like crazy over... what frogs sound like? What's super weird, is that as we were arguing, the chirping of the frogs grew louder and more rhythmic, until it was almost like a chant. Then coyotes started howling in time and we were all just at a loss. The "chanting" of these animals grew louder and louder until we all just shut up and listened in confusion. Finally, the counselors decided enough was enough and we returned to our quarters for the night.

That whole week, stories circulated of campers and counselors seeing "shadow people" throughout the camp. One cabin reported that decorative lights would flicker on despite being unplugged. Some people claimed to feel something touch them in the night. I honestly can't verify much of this beyond stories, but all I know is that I personally felt a constant tension that whole week. That was one of my last years there as a camper... because apparently I decided I wanted to work there for the next 6 summers, haha.

As I remember more events like this I'll be sure to add them. Thought they'd be worth the "hmm."

If there was a negative entity there, getting you to argue kept you from praying and singing. It wouldn’t be the first account of people being effected by negative energy.

Reactions: garnetsilver
If there was a negative entity there, getting you to argue kept you from praying and singing. It wouldn’t be the first account of people being effected by negative energy.
That was what I thought, too.

I used to be service crew on a lot of camps I went on with the Scouts, then ventures. Good fun, hard work - and I actually lost a lot of weight in one week yay!
- But we got free camp because of it. Hefting petrol in gerry cans around the site for the generators for a lot of it, and mountains of canvas and poles.

Frogs can be a bit weird. one week - you don't see any, then after a bit of rain there is thousands of them. I have heard that all come out to mate at the same time and can make a racket , mate for a few days...then all disappear again till next year.

Even so - pretty freaky.
I can believe the mass hysteria of a group in isolation. Seen it a few times.