Suggestions for one please?

qwynie Rose

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm single so I never bother with anything fancy for the holidays; plus we never celebrated Christmas, Easter, Birthdays etc growing up so it's not something I'm used to . But this year I thought it would be nice to have a proper meal but obviously no point in a turkey or a ham for just one. So any ideas? :)

Ok, so I'm single so I never bother with anything fancy for the holidays; plus we never celebrated Christmas, Easter, Birthdays etc growing up so it's not something I'm used to . But this year I thought it would be nice to have a proper meal but obviously no point in a turkey or a ham for just one. So any ideas? :)
Let me think a bit on this. I may have a thought overnight...:)

Reactions: qwynie Rose
Go and Volunteer to help serve Thanksgiving dinner to the poor and the homeless. Since you have nobody to be with this will do several things for you... you will meet some nice people that are trying to make our world a better place... You will see that you have a LOT to be thankful for when you deal with these people and you can learn the true meaning of both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Both are about sharing and not just giving or getting.

Plan B, Talk with your friends and do the holidays with them. We have a big Thanksgiving planed. about 25 of us are getting together as we do every year. We eat, drink and make merry all day and half the night then the women folks get together for the Black Friday sales while the guys get to be thankful that we don't have to go. My friends ARE my family. I am blessed beyond imagining. My wife and I have no family other than my daughter and her small family. We all though are a part of this huge extended family and truely they are the thing that I am most thankful for every year.

Last edited:
Those are good suggestions TexDanm. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK but those ideas work equally well for Christmas. Where I live (rural North Scotland) we don't have soup kitchens or homeless shelters, even the nearest city doesn't have a soup kitchen. But I'm sure one of the local churches will be doing something so I will check.

I do hope you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving. :)

Those are good suggestions TexDanm. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK but those ideas work equally well for Christmas. Where I live (rural North Scotland) we don't have soup kitchens or homeless shelters, even the nearest city doesn't have a soup kitchen. But I'm sure one of the local churches will be doing something so I will check.

I do hope you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving. :)
If you can't find a place to be with others on the holiday, I'd suggest you roast a duck or chicken, a few potatoes, and it's my understanding brussel sprouts are a seasonal treat over there? If you like them, I would add that as well or another veggie you enjoy. For dessert, pick your very favorite and have that! THEN, I would find one friend who, if they cannot join you in person, can join you by phone and share in some "table talk" as you eat.

I would also suggest if you wish to have dinner with someone, call a local nursing home/facility, and see if there is anyone there without family that you might be able to share a meal with. The elderly are sometimes very alone on holidays and the best gift you could give is yourself. Those who are alone on the holidays can seek out others who are alone and suddenly you have an instant family.

If you can't find a place to be with others on the holiday, I'd suggest you roast a duck or chicken, a few potatoes, and it's my understanding brussel sprouts are a seasonal treat over there? If you like them, I would add that as well or another veggie you enjoy. For dessert, pick your very favorite and have that! THEN, I would find one friend who, if they cannot join you in person, can join you by phone and share in some "table talk" as you eat.

I would also suggest if you wish to have dinner with someone, call a local nursing home/facility, and see if there is anyone there without family that you might be able to share a meal with. The elderly are sometimes very alone on holidays and the best gift you could give is yourself. Those who are alone on the holidays can seek out others who are alone and suddenly you have an instant family.

Debi, thank you! It would never have entered my head to seek out others also alone at Christmas, mainly because it's not something I grew up with, but I'm sure people who did (particularly elderly folks) would love company. Now you've made me think of my next door neighbor. She has no family and is learning disabled so actually she would be the ideal person to invite. I'm sure she would love a real Christmas meal and I know she loves dessert. And yes, brussel sprouts, yummy! :)

Reactions: Debi
Hi Qwynie, if you are considering sharing your time and your bounty with others, there are some great ideas above. I think you would agree. Let me offer another, if you are near to a military installation, you can find legitimate websites which will help you get ahold of military organizations who will ‘adopt’ to you a service member for the day.

My family did this on a few occasions when I was a child. Our home was very small but on one occasion we were able to bring in as many as three military service personnel. It was rewarding to spend time with, and share our humble meals with, service members who were away from their own family on the holidays.

Regardless of the meal you share, some persons are so grateful just to have time together await from the military barracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: qwynie Rose
Hi Qwynie, if you are considering sharing your time and your bounty with others, there are some great ideas above. I think you would agree. Let me offer another, if you are near to a military installation, you can find legitimate websites which will help you get ahold of military organizations who will ‘adopt’ to you a service member for the day.

My family did this on a few occasions when I was a child. Our home was very small but on one occasion we were able to bring in as many as three military service personnel. It was rewarding to spend time with, and share our humble meals with, service members who were away from their own family on the holidays.

Regardless of the meal you share, some persons are so grateful just to have time together await from the military barracks.

WandS, I think this is a brilliant idea. We don't have anything like this in Scotland but we do have a lot of homeless veterans, so at the very least I could make a Christmas meal donation to a shelter (or hostel as we call it). I am loving all these ideas as it's taking me in some great directions here. Thanks! :)

Reactions: WitchAndShaman