Stupid is as stupid does

TonyM

Deactivated Account
Reaction score
Website
monaghan.tv
Lab I worked in had some ancient old kit with a recessed socket with two prongs with a wee plate above saying 500v DC, 'I wonder if this is live'? Yes it was and that hurt and of course still alive, just...

Done anything really daft life threatening or otherwise?

Lab I worked in had some ancient old kit with a recessed socket with two prongs with a wee plate above saying 500v DC, 'I wonder if this is live'? Yes it was and that hurt and of course still alive, just...

When I was a teenager, I did many stupid things. As an adult, I still do some from time to time, like reaching to plug in a cord touching both ends of the plug to help "guide" it into a hidden wall socket slots. You only do that once . . . and I too of course still alive. I had a nice jolt to remind myself of how stupid that was. I have felt AC current maybe three times in my life. Luckily it was 120 volt and I was able to release quickly.

I've been jolted with 240v at least twice.
"Looks like there's something lodged in it. I'll get it..." and testing a plug without replacing the cover first... I also used to use the roof four stories up as a shortcut to get to a friend's balcony. Climbing things generally. It's amazing I made it through childhood. At junior school I climbed onto the top of the thing that swings out from the P.E. hall wall with the bars, poles and ropes on, and walked around on the top (about twenty feet high?) which was about about two inches thick, if that talking to the other kids while the teacher was having kittens! I was about ten. I had a really good sense of balance and no fear at all. That was the worst but I did other similar things all through my childhood and teens. We had a climbing frame in the garden and I used to walk about on the top at age ten with a drink in one hand and a book in the other reading...

Being electrocuted enlarges your heart. Did you feel cooked inside?

Reactions: TonyM and Charleh
It can also make your heart burst and burst your spinal cord. Don’t ask me how I know this.

One time for some odd reason I decided to smear crazy glue on something I needed fixing, you know, the way you might apply and smear on 5 minute epoxy? Anyhow that was the day my hand was glued into a fist and I learned that acetone doesn’t get crazy glue off your skin once it cures.

My hometown was covered in railroad tracks. Train hub for the area. Many did not have drop arms at the crossing. One day at the age of 18, I had the radio blasting and my hot car flying down a back road that had a dangerous crossing. Three sets of tracks at this crossing, and I didn't slow down to even look. Just blew across them at 70 mphs. (Union Street in Hobart, Paint.) The train missed me by no more than a sheet of paper between me and the back fender. I pulled over and threw up right there and then.

My hometown was covered in railroad tracks. Train hub for the area. Many did not have drop arms at the crossing. One day at the age of 18, I had the radio blasting and my hot car flying down a back road that had a dangerous crossing. Three sets of tracks at this crossing, and I didn't slow down to even look. Just blew across them at 70 mphs. (Union Street in Hobart, Paint.) The train missed me by no more than a sheet of paper between me and the back fender. I pulled over and threw up right there and then.

Wow Debi, hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I read that

Reactions: 7Critter and Lynne

I was wearing the equivalent of army boots with a thick rubber sole and I think that saved my life. Other than a numb arm and feeling groggy for a while I was ok

Reactions: Charleh
That was the day God decided there was work for you :D I’m glad you missed that train :eek: