Struck by Lightning

Indigo

Resident Heyoka
Reaction score
As I was laying in bed this morning during a pretty intense thunder and lightning storm, I was thinking about what happens when someone is struck by lightning. I find those kind of storms comforting when indoors, and awesome when outdoors. I once had lightning strike through my tent missing me by inches. Anyone else have a close encounter? I found a cool article describing the stories of individuals struck & the experiences they undergo. I was looking for a 'real' Powder, if anyone remembers that movie, but haven't found one yet. Here's the link if anyone else is interested: http://www.outsideonline.com/1925996/body-electric

Knew someone down in Florida years ago who got a small zap from it. It left a hole in his foot as an exit wound! He said it took him almost 2 years to recover from it, and it wasn't a bad strike. Lost touch with him now, but he really had a rough recovery from it mentally.

Dannon Brinkley was struck by lightning more than once as per his account. I wiki'd him but it only says he was struck once. I remember him as a guest on Coast to Coast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dannion_Brinkley

In Saved by the Light Brinkley explained that he was struck by lightning on September 17, 1975, while using a telephone at his home in Aiken, South Carolina. He said he was clinically dead for 28 minutes. During these 28 minutes Brinkley said he experienced many characteristic details of a near death experience as well as certain unique ones. His account includes an out-of-body experience with extensive observations of physical surroundings, passing through a tunnel, a high-speed and detailed life review and an encounter with beings who showed him visions of the future and discussed with him his life mission. Brinkley said he had a strong reluctance to return to his physical body, but he was sent back to fulfill a mission.[1]

Brinkley said when he re-entered his body in the hospital he blew on the sheet that was covering his head. His friend noticed the moving sheet and said, "he's still alive!" By the end of September 1975 he was released from the hospital.[1]

Shortly after the event occurred Brinkley told his story to near-death researcher Raymond Moody.[3] In the Introduction to Saved by the Light, Moody wrote Brinkley's near death experience stands as one of the most incredible he has ever heard.[1]

Reactions: Indigo and Debi
My Uncle and Grand Father were struck by lightning in 1959 and killed.
I had an electrical rod (as I call them because it looked like a damn rod made of electricity) come in through a window air system once (through the open vent) and it got right to my face (about an inch away) before leaving back through the vent.
Yikes! Too close for comfort!

Reactions: Indigo and Debi
My Uncle and Grand Father were struck by lightning in 1959 and killed.
I had an electrical rod (as I call them because it looked like a damn rod made of electricity) come in through a window air system once (through the open vent) and it got right to my face (about an inch away) before leaving back through the vent.

Sorry to hear about your uncle & grandfather. Nature is a powerful force. The lightning you talk about coming through the window, my mom claims to have experienced a similar phenomena but it came out the washer machine electric hookup and left through the window. It made our dog terrified of storms for the rest of his life. Being that your family experienced loss, and you had a terrifying encounter of your own, how do you feel about storms?