Strange Noises in Grandparents Basement

FabledPhantom

Reaction score
In my childhood, nothing was better than going over to my grand parents's house, they would make my siblings and I food whenever we went over, she would let us sleep in her neatly decorated rooms, my favorite room was "The Spare Room", which was adorned with sailing decorations and pictures of beaches, the other thing about going over my grand parents house was being able to spend countless of hours on the computer there with no disturbances, my brother took over our computer at our house. ([RAGEFACE])

Although I liked going there, I always felt that something was "off" about their basement, these weird sounds would frighten me so much I would run up the stairs, while making sure to hit each light switch as I hurdled up the stairs like a marathon runner from whatever I was scared of, I would eventually go back downstairs whenever I was not "scared" anymore and these noises wouldn't occur for the rest of the night. Sometimes they did.

In the bathroom there was a boiler room through a door, it had a furnace I recall and a water heater, which would make noise if you excessively ran hot water (taking showers, washing dishes, etc) if you stood in the boiler room with the door closed.

The basement was solitude where I wanted tranquility, a place where I could watch the sun glow through the ground window, and or watch the wildlife teem in beauty from my saving grace.

Until the sun sleeps...

During the night, the daunting pitch black windows would engulf the entire basement with darkness, if a light was off of course. I would hear the bobcats fearsomely hiss and coyotes howl over caught prey in bliss, the owls hooting gave me a sense of dread in that basement...

Nothing was as scary as that bathroom though, I would always having a feeling of uneasiness when I used it instead of the upstairs bathroom. It had a window with a big three adjacent to it blocking most of the sunlight, so it was fairly dim inside the bathroom with a light off and even when the sun was gleaming outside.

Nothing compares to what sounds like fingernails sliding up and down the grates on the vent attached on the boiler room wall outside, these, I can describe the weird sound as a melodious "ZING" that would last for about 2 seconds, I look away at the computer for another 5 minutes... "ZING"

There have been times where it sounded like someone was going up to the vent and blowing on it, it sounded like the metal was vibrating, accompanied by a "swooshing" sound.

There were numerous of times the boiler room door would slam shut on its own with the window in the bathroom closed. I could write a whole 1000 page book with the amount of times I heard the toilet flush by itself.

The TV in the basement had surround sound, sometimes one of the surround speakers would say "OFF!" in a ghastly robotic female voice, sometimes it would yell "OFF!" in the same voice, but it would sound like a static distortion.

The furnace next to the water heater would make tapping noises. "TAP...TAP...TAP...TAP" 3 second intervals between each other that would gradually fade away with each tap, even when it was cold as ice to the touch, it was normal to make these tapping noises if it was hot, but rarely it was on, and "TAP...TAP...TAP...TAP" would get my attention everytime. It sounded like something was banging from inside the furnace.

I was down there on the computer one day, the water heater began to make a loud sound, as if someone was taking a shower, but I was the only one in the house on the computer downstairs and hot water had not been running for several hours, the sound would gradually get louder and louder as seconds pass then all of a sudden the sound would get lower and then fade away instantly.

My grandmother stored boxes of pasta inside a closet that was in the bathroom, and to this day I still remember very vividly of something knocking on the door, sometimes it would be a single knock, but other times it would knock with 5 second intervals between each knock, one day I used the bathroom and the closet door was closed, 5 minutes after I had left the bathroom I heard a single "KNOCK" I immediately got up to investigate and when I got in the bathroom, the closet door was open... I never ran upstairs so fast in my life, I tripped over the dog gate trying to get out of that basement...

Sometimes passing by the vent to the entrance to the basement, I would hear those "swooshing" noises when I walked by the vent, it sounded like they were right in my ear. Sometimes passing by the vent, I would hear that very familiar "ZING!" that I've grown so accustomed to hearing.

My grandfather would make jokes with the family about not being in the basement passed 9PM because they would hear the "spooky noises" as he described, I asked him about these noises and he said he was very much well aware of them, I almost cried when he told me he said this because I thought I was the only one. When he sat down there to watch TV at night, my grandmother would be using the computer and he used to joke around with her saying "Alright hun, I'm heading up now (to bed) before I'm spooked out of here."

The first time I heard him say this, I informed him and my grandmother I was going to bed too because I was just too scared to stay down there. "Oh but you're not going to use the computer, hunny?" My grandmother asks, "I'm just feeling tired nan, I'll use it in the morning" I replied, not wanting to tell the truth to her, but I think she was well aware of it too because she would never reply to my grandfather when he made these jokes about it being "spooky" in the basement, I think she just wanted to forget about it.

My brother had heard these noises too when he stayed at my grandmother's house, and he explained them in identical detail as to what I've heard down there. The furnace. The water heater. The surround sound, the vent. He explained it to me all in details that I didn't deny, I told him I knew exactly what he was talking about.

13 years later I'm still mystified as to what I've in that basement, it could have been some malfunctions with the water heater or the furnace down there. It happened when I would at least expect it.

My grandfather's 140 pound rottweiler would always whine, growl and bark while staring at the bathroom, and would sometimes be startled by the noises when he was sitting down there, he was a gentle giant, and to see him bark so aggressively at the bathroom and sometimes run upstairs as if he was scared of something was very telling.

I would consistently hear these noises from the years 2004-2011, the year my grand parents sold the house, they had been living there since the middle of the 90's.

It was a very sad day when she sold the house, the days within after them moving away I just had a feeling wash over me of regret that I never recorded these sounds and put them on YouTube to share to the world, but my mind just never immediately thought to do so, because they were just so bizarre and out of the ordinary. I really wish today that I had did so.

Could the place where I found peace and quiet be haunted? Were these sounds merely just simple technical issues with the equipment in the boiler room? I will never know, I will always remember them, they have stuck with me for so many years, and will remain with me forever.

I don't think I'll ever truly know what was making those strange, unusual noises in my grandparents basement.

Thanks for spending the time to read this.

Well i can say boilers make a bunch of sounds. Every time it calls for heat and or hot water that specific zone would make noise (zone valves etc). Some boilers use a water heater for storage whereas the new ones are on demand. The vent, was that on the door to the boiler room? Boiler rooms can get pretty warm and if metal vent cover, it can make that ting sound when expanding and contracting from the heat all year round (moreso if running ac..hot to cold etc). They are needed for ventilation if the door itself isn't a louvered one (that is code). There are always legit explanations for most things. Even with all i have experienced, i'm still a skeptic lol. Being in the construction field, i have found many things that explain stuff., but not all the time. The surround sound is odd, unless the speakers are wifi or bluetooth and losing connection. When my parents come up here a few times a year, i have to mess with my sound bar for awhile due to whatever they do to it lol. We had a similar heater room in our house when growing up with a creepy hatch to enter the crawl space lol. Are any of those explanations plausible? Sure. Knowing there are 'things' beyond us, not everything can be explained away.

Well i can say boilers make a bunch of sounds. Every time it calls for heat and or hot water that specific zone would make noise (zone valves etc). Some boilers use a water heater for storage whereas the new ones are on demand. The vent, was that on the door to the boiler room? Boiler rooms can get pretty warm and if metal vent cover, it can make that ting sound when expanding and contracting from the heat all year round (moreso if running ac..hot to cold etc). They are needed for ventilation if the door itself isn't a louvered one (that is code). There are always legit explanations for most things. Even with all i have experienced, i'm still a skeptic lol. Being in the construction field, i have found many things that explain stuff., but not all the time. The surround sound is odd, unless the speakers are wifi or bluetooth and losing connection. When my parents come up here a few times a year, i have to mess with my sound bar for awhile due to whatever they do to it lol. We had a similar heater room in our house when growing up with a creepy hatch to enter the crawl space lol. Are any of those explanations plausible? Sure. Knowing there are 'things' beyond us, not everything can be explained away.
Good explanation. The vent was attached on a wall that was next to the boiler room as you walked down the stairs, you could psychically see inside the boiler room if you looked through the vent. The surround sound wasn't Bluetooth as far as I know, it was fairly old, they got it in 2003 probably? And it was always off whenever someone used the TV which never occured until my grandfather went to bed at 8 PM, I would mostly hear these sounds from 11PM-2AM, rough estimate. The water heater wouldn't make noise unless someone used hot water which was another rare occurrence at night, if I decided to take a shower I would go down stairs and heat it running with a "soft" and "crispy" sound, at times I was sitting in the computer it would randomly turn off, gradually increasing and making a "roaring" sound that could be heard from the living room upstairs, it was very unusual.

Reactions: garnetsilver
The roaring sound is the flame kicking on to heat the water. If system was a boiler, could've been calling for heat mostly during night when it tends to get colder. There also could've been a defective part that caused the system to call even when not needed.

The roaring sound is the flame kicking on to heat the water. If system was a boiler, could've been calling for heat mostly during night when it tends to get colder. There also could've been a defective part that caused the system to call even when not needed.
That's what I've always thought, I don't think it was defective because when I started hearing it roar loudly it was fairly new, probably a year old. They did renovations to the house such as hardwood floors, new sinks, cabinets, etc and they replaced their old water heater. The most striking thing to me also is that the surround sound speaker was on a shelf directly next to the bathroom, and it would always happen from that specific speaker. I've tried to determine what could be making it do that from looking for defective wires, turning the speakers on and off, and the thing is they never said "OFF" or "ON" when you turned the power settings on and off.

Well renovations tend to spark strange happenings. Not sure how old the home was, but could be possible the work stirred something. Our house was brand new when we moved into it. There were some alterations here and there but nothing drastic that i remember, other than closing off fireplace to put in a Franklin stove. I think in the case of our house, it was more the area/property than the house.

Did you ever have terrible nightmares while staying there? Some places can be just bad where some may have activity that just 'let's you know it's there'. Depending on the sum of occurrences, it can affect your dreams considerably. Also the general feel of the home plays a big part.

Well renovations tend to spark strange happenings. Not sure how old the home was, but could be possible the work stirred something. Our house was brand new when we moved into it. There were some alterations here and there but nothing drastic that i remember, other than closing off fireplace to put in a Franklin stove. I think in the case of our house, it was more the area/property than the house.

I think the construction was completed in 1991, they moved into the house in 1994. The decor in house wasn't living up to their standards anymore so they refurnished at the beginning of '04. It was a new house. I think the property was old though, they had demolished a house that was vacant for a few years so they tore it down and built a new house.

I think the construction was completed in 1991, they moved into the house in 1994. The decor in house wasn't living up to their standards anymore so they refurnished at the beginning of '04. It was a new house. I think the property was old though, they had demolished a house that was vacant for a few years so they tore it down and built a new house.
That could be another explanation if there were things happening. If something was tied to that house, it remained. Could also be something far older. Blows the mind when you sit back and really really think of say, your property. What went on there hundreds (thousands) of years before. I remember in our old neighborhood an old car being in the woods by the river and i believe a rusted ice cream chest in the middle of the woods. Why were those things left there? Convenient dumping ground? Nefarious other reasons? Can only speculate lol.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Fable. I think Selectric has gone over the possible boiler noises pretty good, however the door slamming, and speaker noise is suspect. Only your gut can tell you if it was paranormal. These things do happen. At the least it opened your mind to the possibilities of the unseen.