Strange flute playing outside in the distance at night

Taliesin

Reaction score
Website
www.techstuffonly.com
One night a couple weeks ago, when my window was open because it was cool, I was just getting ready to get into bed when I heard a strange sound. I stopped moving so that I could hear it better. It sounded like what I thought it was: a flute. I was dumbfounded. It wasn't just a flute, but it sounded mysterious, almost like you would expect Merlin to play in order to lure Arthur out of the monastery at night as a boy so they could go on adventures and teach him lessons. This is what Merlyn did in the book The 21 Lessons of Merlyn.

To make it even stranger, I could tell it was moving around, because as I crept closer to the open window as I hid behind the blinds, it sounded farther away. I was just thinking to myself, "wow, am I really hearing this?!" I've never heard anything like this before. I was cautious, because I had no idea what it could be, but still, I wanted to go out and check it out. It didn't feel scary, but I'm a careful person. I think about worst-case scenarios, like stepping outside on the front steps, only to have my soul sucked away by whatever or whoever it was.

Well, eventually, I did give in to my curiosity, and I opened the front door a wee bit, and peeked out - and listened. I didn't hear it anymore at this point. I waited there, looking out into the dark neighborhood, trying to see if I could catch anything moving, but I didn't.

Finally, when I felt that the threat level was low, I stepped out onto the front step. I was prepared to scurry back inside in a split second if I had to, but as I sat there, I happened to look right at a window of a neighbor's house across the street. There was a mysterious white streak of light that went one way, then quickly turned around and went back the other way and vanished.

I also remember slightly smelling apples when I was listening by the window before I went out. I had been melting some scented wax that evening, but not apple.

I have no clue what the heck that was all about. I hadn't told anyone about this, because of how crazy it is. What do you guys think? I don't expect anyone to believe me.

Edit: Oh, and I don't know how relevant this is, but it happened around the time of the full moon.

Last edited:
Maybe an elemental like a fairy or gnome. Maybe a portal opened for a bit.

Is it possible a neighbor was playing the flute with the window open ?

Reactions: Taliesin

That's what I thought, too. Yeah it's possible. But then I have another question, why would they? I think it was after 11:30 pm.

Reactions: Lynne

I hadn't thought about that. Have you ever encountered one of them? What do you think they were trying to do? I'm still kind of on the fence about creatures like that.

One half of me wishes they're real, and the other half tries to be the Dana Scully and require evidence lol. The half of me who wants to believe in them is split into two smaller halves: one that believes they're good, and one that thinks they're dangerous. This mixture is frustrating, because it makes me go back and forth and change my mind on things.

I would have gone walking around looking for the source if I could have been guaranteed that I'd be safe. I found another topic somewhere on this site that I think Debi posted, about fairies, that stuff kind of creeped me out. Carrying babies away? That's horrible. Why would they have such a lack of empathy and extreme indifference to people?

Why would they have such a lack of empathy and extreme indifference to people?
Why wouldn't they? We often assume that other beings think just like us and have the same set of morals and ethics. With elementals, it appears they don't see "right or wrong". If you research the olde myths and tales (within every myth or story is a kernel of the truth) you will find that they are reported to be simply following their own ways. They appear to be a lower vibrational being that simpy do not have the same thought processes as humans. We can't use our own set of ethics and morals to judge these creatures. Just as a large animal feels the other animals are made for their dinners, so an elemental might act seeing nothing wrong with the action just as an Owl eats mice sees nothing wrong with the hunt and having dinner.

We often try to see things through the human consciousness....and we have to remember these things are NOT human. This also applies to aliens, btw.

Why wouldn't they? We often assume that other beings think just like us and have the same set of morals and ethics. With elementals, it appears they don't see "right or wrong". If you research the olde myths and tales (within every myth or story is a kernel of the truth) you will find that they are reported to be simply following their own ways. They appear to be a lower vibrational being that simpy do not have the same thought processes as humans. We can't use our own set of ethics and morals to judge these creatures. Just as a large animal feels the other animals are made for their dinners, so an elemental might act seeing nothing wrong with the action just as an Owl eats mice sees nothing wrong with the hunt and having dinner.

We often try to see things through the human consciousness....and we have to remember these things are NOT human. This also applies to aliens, btw.
The reason for my question was because if they were constantly harmful to humans, then why would people evoke the elements in magic? It wouldn't make sense to call upon something that's harmful to assist us. This leads me to speculate that they can choose their actions.

Reactions: Seahunter
The reason for my question was because if they were constantly harmful to humans, then why would people evoke the elements in magic? It wouldn't make sense to call upon something that's harmful to assist us. This leads me to speculate that they can choose their actions.
By all accounts I've read, you are correct. Fae can choose.

In magic, when evoked, it's more of an "ask them to help ya" kinda thing. I believe they have the choice of helping...or not. :)

By all accounts I've read, you are correct. Fae can choose.

In magic, when evoked, it's more of an "ask them to help ya" kinda thing. I believe they have the choice of helping...or not. :)

But the thing is, with the power of choice comes responsibility. Stealing babies, vandalizing things, etc, sounds like choices. I wonder if they're immune to karma, and can go around stealing babies and other stuff without any repercussions at all.

But the thing is, with the power of choice comes responsibility. Stealing babies, vandalizing things, etc, sounds like choices. I wonder if they're immune to karma, and can go around stealing babies and other stuff without any repercussions at all.
Now we tread into the spiritual area of things. Do they have a soul? Are they held responsible? Or, like animals, are they just being themselves and their natural nature? Can we apply human laws to them?

Now we tread into the spiritual area of things. Do they have a soul? Are they held responsible? Or, like animals, are they just being themselves and their natural nature? Can we apply human laws to them?
I think everyone just acts like themselves. I really do wonder if fairies, elves, gnomes, and other creatures like them are held responsible. I will never know in this lifetime. I don't know if they have souls. However, humans and animals have more in common than some may think. As one example, animals do sometimes kill without a need. Some animals kill and leave the meat of the animal they killed.

As for human laws, no. But what about universal laws?