News "Stomp the Flag" movement

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...flag-appears-to-be-part-of-a-larger-movement/

“My name is Erica Walker, and I’m about to do the Eric Sheppard Challenge,” she said in the clip, holding up a handwritten sign. “Hands off EJ. F*** yo flag.”

Dressed in a University of Michigan sweatshirt, Walker performed the “Running Man” dance on top of the stars and stripes for a few seconds —

The #EricSheppardChallenge refers to Valdosta State University student Eric Sheppard, one of the organizers of a flag protest on campus who was photographed walking on the flag.

f-your-flag-5-e1430406162348.jpg

This new "challenge" is all over social media right now. People, if you don't like America, take positive action to make changes. Desecration of the Flag shows your ignorance.

If you saw someone doing this, would you step in to stop it? Speak against it? There was a story recently of a vet who saw this happening on campus. When she scooped up the flag and stopped it, she was arrested. (Looking for the story and will post when I find it.)

OK...found it!

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/...ter-stopping-protesters-walking-american-flag

Cell phone video taken at Valdosta State University shows Air Force vet Michelle Manhart take the flag from protesters and refuse to return it before she is tackled and handcuffed by university police.

Bryan Llenas reported on "America's News Headquarters" that Manhart saw a photo of the protestors disgracing the flag and repeatedly asked the university to stop them. Nothing happened, so she took action, picking the flag up off the ground where protesters were reportedly trampling it.

"This belongs to actually the entire United States," Manhart tells a protester in the video. "It's not yours."

Manhart resisted turning the flag over to police and stood her ground, holding Old Glory until she was overpowered by four officers.

She was released after the protesters and officers declined to press charges. The university, however, issued a criminal trespass warning, which effectively bans Manhart from stepping on campus.

Whatever happened to burning the flag ? It is/was a citizens right of free speech to do so ! Is stomping on the flag any different ? One is showing displeasure towards the government , is this not so ?

The first federal Flag Protection Act was passed by Congress in 1968 in response to protest burnings of the flag at demonstrations against the Vietnam War.[8] Over time, 48 of the 50 U.S. states also enacted similar flag protection laws. All of these statutes were overturned by the Supreme Court of the United States by a 5–4 vote in the case Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989) as unconstitutional restrictions of public expression. Congress responded to the Johnson decision by passing a Flag Protection Act, only to see the Supreme Court reaffirm Johnson by the same 5–4 majority in United States v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990), declaring that flag burning was constitutionally-protected free speech.

Honestly, until I just looked that up, I thought it was illegal.

Reactions: Speedbird
Whatever happened to burning the flag ? It is/was a citizens right of free speech to do so ! Is stomping on the flag any different ? One is showing displeasure towards the government , is this not so ?
It's all relative. Back in my younger, liberal days I would also have thought of it as free speech. It would have bothered me to see my flag burn, but I would have been grateful to live in an awesome country where we Americans could do whatever we wanted. Even burn our own flag.

However, these days, with actual citizens having no rights and illegals having the red carpet rolled out for them and given every form of social service, then seeing these same people protest about how horrible America is and how the white man (who founded this country and made it what is used to be) sucks, I no longer see it as a form of free spech. Now it is an affront to a nation and a form of treason. I didn't read the article, so I may be making a lot of assumptions, but if it is NOT Americans burning their own flag, then it's disgusting. What would happen to me if I went to Italy or Germany and stomped on their flag? I would most likely be arrested. How would you feel if you saw someone burning or stomping on the Scottish flag? I bet Willy would come out to play.

Groundskeeper-Willie-from-The-Simpsons.jpg

Thanks Debi for the info !