Standing up...

When I was 20 I was walking through the CBD of Sydney and two big skinhead guys were kicking a small Asian guy on the ground, I said to stop and one turned to swing at me so I headbutted him out cold. The little guy got up and the brave other skinhead ran away. I don't know what possessed me to get involved because I've always been a pacifist, lol.

This didn't happen to me but to Mr Garnet, when he was much younger. He was coming out of a convenience store when he witnessed a guy pounding on an elderly man. Mr Garnet was with a friend, so he grabbed the assaulter and held him so he couldn't move his arms, while the friend called the police. Mr. Garnet also abhors violence.

Yes. I was so fed up with one particular loud and bullish colleague, that I finally spoke up. I told her, in no uncertain terms, that she was being ridiculous (about something I no longer remember) and everyone in the office overheard me. This was so out of character for me that they all turned to stare at her and she was so embarrassed that she immediately stopped her bad behaviour and never bothered anyone again. She even began being very nice to me, which was totally weird!

When I was in my mid 20's, there was this spoiled, rich and extremely entitled punk kid that wasn't more than a few years younger than me that was giving a female friend problems. Just the usual unwanted sexual remarks and I took it just a little to the extreme. I made it more than clear that I didn't like him. One day, when I was making my order, he walked in the store and pointed a pressure washer hose directly at me and had this smirk on his face I'd loved to wipe off.

I'm not going to say what I told him here, but needless to say, he stopped smiling immediately and after a short period of time, he started leaving her and me alone. I didn't give a darn if he was some rich, spoiled kid. Nah. You mess with my friend or family, it'd be on.

Eventually, he got married and mellowed out and the idiot that was at the epicenter of all (and that was instigating things between he and I) was fired and we buried the hatchet so to speak and that was that. She was an older woman that you think would have known better but evidently didn't. Holier than thou type.

She was a bully herself but I shut her up as well. Same result. Back to the story, in the end, there was a mutual respect thing that was going on. I put my animosity I had for him to the side when he lost his brother and he remembered that. But this is something I'd forgotten all about until just now.

Last edited: